Focusing on Small flies

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

I cannot get my digital camera to focus in on the fly for pictures. Any tips?

Macro setting

the camera is too close to the fly.

Macro, Lighting, Back ground, and too close are the usual suspects.

A mistake I used to make is to use the macro setting and move the lens very close to the insect, in effect filling the frame with the insect. Most point and shoot cameras don't give your images much depth of field under this condition. The result is the legs toward the camera are not in focus, the body is in focus and the legs away from the camera are out of focus. It's better to shoot from a few inches away from the insect. The result will be more depth of field and an insect more in focus. You can always crop away if you want the insect larger in the image.

Also consider having something larger than the insect on the same plane as the insect, like the cork handle on your fly rod. If your focus lock includes both the insect and the larger object your chances of the camera focusing on the insect are better.

Jeff

use the macro setting (typically a picture of a flower), use good lighting, and a solid background (blue or gray works well)

focus on the fly from about a foot or so away, and click the button half way down. Once it focuses on the fly, then push the camera closer to the fly and it should keep the focus.

Just a little trick that has worked for me.

Success. I'm going to have to post some pics of flies from the vise as soon as I get my jaws back from Renzetti
Thanks to all!

Back