Foam Hoppers

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I went to the craft store the other week and picked up 1/8 inch thick sheets of colored foam in light green, light brown, dark brown and black.

I also picked up some detailing markers in green, red, brown, and black.

I used plastic strands from a broom and melt the ends to make little bead eyes on a few hoppers.

Some of my hoppers have rubber legs and others have foam legs. I like to try something different every time I tie something. I don't particularly have a stardard way to tie most of my flies. I change them up until I see something I like and I try to copy that.

I'm new at tying so I do a lot of experimenting, trust me some of the stuff I tie is hideous and I wouldn't want anyone to see it. Plus I always use too many wraps of thread.

Here are four patterns that I kinda like, they're not exactly as I had imagined, but they just might go in my fly box. I took the pics with my stream camera on macro mode.

Attachments

• Foam hopper 1.JPG
    Foam hopper 1.JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Foam hopper 2.JPG
    Foam hopper 2.JPG
    775.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Foam hopper 3.JPG
    Foam hopper 3.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 2
  • foam hopper 4 .JPG
    foam hopper 4 .JPG
    741.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice job Jake! I love foam for fly tying and now make virtually all my terrestrials with it. To be sure, deer hair is more durable than foam but in every other area, esp floatability, ease of tying, and realism, foam is far superior IMO.
I'd recommend sticking with rubber for legs rather than foam. It's just easier and the foam legs are fragile. To get good angled rear legs for hoppers, just cut flat rubber legs and then glue with Superglue the joint at the angle that looks best to you. This is easier than trying to "joint" the legs by knotting the rubber band. Plus, rubber legs don't float and provide some balance to ensure the fly floats properly. All foam legs will "confuse" the fly and contribute to floating on the side etc. You want a mix of foam and fur/rubber to ensure that the fly floats hook down and visibility post upward.
Good job!

Thanks for the advice, I noticed the foam legs are fragile, I had a few pull off while tying.

I need to get some of the larger rubber legs. I have the tiny stuff right now in green/black and brown/black color.

The smaller legs can be a pain and are hard to get to go where you want.

I think I need some yellow stuff too. maybe some yellow foam and yellow and black legs, maybe.

What great ties! My advice is that parachute hoppers and Letort hoppers produce the most, plus they are easier to tie. that fly though has some character to it, I'd sure fish it.

Go west, Jake.

That fly would be a killer in Montana. It'll surely work here, but I just picture big mountains and big water when I look at it.

Nice tie.

I slayed trout on mystery meat hoppers and parachute hoppers when I was there, had one almost every cast on some stretches, needless to say any type of hopper will work there.

Back