Foam Cutters?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Ladies and Gents,

Anyone out there have these? River Road I know they come in various patterns and sizes as well as sets. Just curious if anyone uses something similar and if they like it.

JH

I don't own any myself but I have seen them used allot for tying crease flies

Speaking as one who ties a lot of flies with foam and utilizes a lot of template-cut synthetic material......I can't see any reason to use something like this. The only exception would be if I were tying a very large order (hundreds) of an exact pattern in a single size where I really wanted to maximize time. Otherwise, the amount of time it takes to cut out the shape with scissors is negligible. I do have a couple templates I made out of plastic lid covers that I can trace with a magic marker to get the quick shape of a crayfish or similar thing if I'm going to tie several patterns of the same size.
They're also quite large and would take up a lot of my already very tight fly tying space.

plan to get some this year. they work great..

I saw a few guys tying awesome hoppers with a set of cutters at Somerset last month. I almost picked up a set of them.

These work great. But absolutely buy the river road cutters. I bought river road cutters first, loved them, tried to buy the cheaper montana fly company cutters and they wouldn't cut 2mm foam.

I have a complete set of the river road cutters, and use them a lot.
Very quick cutting. I use them to cut my caddis wings out of webby material as well!

Excellent products. Very well made, quite sharp. They will even make up custom cutters for you.

Check out their STP frog pattern, looks killer for the warm water.

They make awesome cutters. I have the supreme hopper cutters. The owners are super nice and will help you out in anyway they can.

Back