foam bodies

B

bjh09

i am focusing on bluegills with the hot water. My problem is the foam bodies roll on the hook. any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Bert

bjh09 wrote:
i am focusing on bluegills with the hot water. My problem is the foam bodies roll on the hook. any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Bert

I'm not sure what type of foam body flies you are tying.

To prevent any material from rolling on the hook, laying down a base of thread on the hook shank and maintaining good thread tension without letting off is the solution stop materials from spinning on the hook.

You can but a drop of superglue on the shank before tying, but that is no substitute for thread tension and a good base.

Good luck.

Google up Charlie Craven's Charlie Boy hopper. He explains his tying technique better than I could for addressing your problem.

https://youtu.be/n_NOLw_sOrc

afishinado wrote:

To prevent any material from rolling on the hook, laying down a base of thread on the hook shank and maintaining good thread tension without letting off is the solution stop materials from spinning on the hook.

You can but a drop of superglue on the shank before tying, but that is no substitute for thread tension and a good base.

This. ^

Superglue is your friend when working with foam.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Bert

tight wraps of thread and as mentioned crazy glue

also try uv resin where possible

Here's a top and side view of a foam pattern I tie. The front is pointed,
I wrap thread to hold it in place, some super glue. Bring the thread to the back. Coat top of shank with super glue. Lay the foam on it and make three tight wraps of thread apply super glue to top and bottom of wraps, then tie in the legs. I'm not sure how well UV resin is in holding the body on the shank. What I have been doing in recent ties is coat the body with a thin UV flex resin, more to "water proof" the fly than secure it to the hook.

Attachments

• foam spider (2).jpg
    foam spider (2).jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P3140145.JPG
    P3140145.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 3
this is all you need, and use superglue. http://azwanderings.com/mini-hopper-tutorial/

agreed, a base of thread and a drop of glue ( i use head cement) under the body at the end. I swear by and always start with a foam spider when fishing for bluegills. One of my favorite things to do.

BTW, i like that little hopper.

Back