Flying w/fly fishing equipment

gfig19

gfig19

Any tips on what not to bring to an airport and avoid getting molested by TSA....I'm planning on going fishing with my brother in Southern California. I usually always just take one suitcase and maybe I could stuff it in there...anyway any tips would be greatly appreciated

any California fisherman around this forum? :)

rods can go on as carry on I think anything sharp like hooks nippers should go bellow. I think they see it often enough that you will be fine.

I suggest to carry your rod on and to pack everything else in a checked luggage bag (non-carry-on).

Safest bet would be to ship the equipment to your brother ahead of your arrival. Otherwise, call the airline and confirm their rules.

If you're staying at a hotel or such just ship it there. You can get conformation that it gets there, insurance if it gets damaged, and won't have to worry about it getting confiscated. Plus if it makes up an extra bag for you, it's probably cheaper than the bag charge in the airline.

Check with the air line. I haven't had a problem with a carry on rod case here in the states. I put my reels flies,etc. in my suitcase. no problems so far. Overseas is another story. GG

All fishing gear should be carried on... or shipped

never check it
Flies are legal carry ons

I haven't had much problems. It is easier if you can put stuff in your checked baggage. Of course you run the risk of lost baggage, but I generally take that risk. My most intense fishing buddy carries all his gear on the plane so there is no risk to his fishing time. He can wear t same clothes all week if the luggage is lost, but doesn't want to risk fishing time. I'm not that extreme. I often take my rod on board and it helps to have a 4 piece rod to fit in the overhead easier.

The one issue is that tools must be less than 7" to be carried on. Forceps, needle nosed pliers, and misc fish hook removers can be more than 7" so check. When I went with a buddy last year he gave up a favorite pair of needle nose pliers he had used for decades because they were 8" long.

I usually fly through Newark and frequently get asked a lot of questions about fishing gear. Folks in Newark are not fisherman friendly. The opposite is true out West and when the TSA staff see a rod case out there the first question is "how was the fishing?"

As for fishing in Southern California, Foxgap is our resident expert. Check out his recent post under "Stream Reports". He's a really good guy.....although some on here may disagree. Hahahahahaha!!!!!

thank you gentlemen, just exactly the kinda of stuff i was looking for....i'll look for fox and see what he can tell me about the area.

Straight from the TSA website:

Fishing Rods/Poles

Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

I did this about a year ago and I checked everything in a locked suitcase except my 2 piece rod. I carried that on and put it in the front compartment where the flight crew stores their bags and they never had an issue. I now just leave everything with a friend out here in CA and get it from him when I fly in. I will caution against checking anything such as any flammable type of fly floatant.

I agree with exactly what Jdaddy posted from the TSA. I never had an issue with them. I flew out here (I'm there now ;-)) Saturday though and brought refills of frog's fanny in my carry on. Doesn't the TSA setup shop to randomly check bags as we board. Fortunately I didn't get chosen although I was thinking how to explain powered fly floatant to a TSA woman. LOL

EP, who would dare besemerch my hard earned reputation by calling me a good guy! Jeez, some people will write anything online!

take the TSA rules with you - sometimes uppity check in girls will insist you can't take the fly rod on.

i have a clear case for it and never have any issues after i get the rules out.

imho most TSA staff have done checks on fly rods a 1000 times.

i've never had an issue with reels or flies on domestic or foreign trips.

Foxgap239 wrote:
I did this about a year ago and I checked everything in a locked suitcase except my 2 piece rod. I carried that on and put it in the front compartment where the flight crew stores their bags and they never had an issue. I now just leave everything with a friend out here in CA and get it from him when I fly in. I will caution against checking anything such as any flammable type of fly floatant.

I agree with exactly what Jdaddy posted from the TSA. I never had an issue with them. I flew out here (I'm there now ;-)) Saturday though and brought refills of frog's fanny in my carry on. Doesn't the TSA setup shop to randomly check bags as we board. Fortunately I didn't get chosen although I was thinking how to explain powered fly floatant to a TSA woman. LOL

EP, who would dare besemerch my hard earned reputation by calling me a good guy! Jeez, some people will write anything online!

a locked suitcase is a good recipe for a suitcase with a broken lock unless you have a tsa universal lock.

When I went to Jackson last summer I took a rod/reel case that holds 2 9' rods as a carry on along with a back pack that had most of my fishing gear. I put my flies and nippers in the checked bag. TSA was no issue with the rod case, United was fine with it too, I went in the overhead bin without issue.

just got back from the usvi

flew there and back, with (2)54 inch rod tubes, they never said a word. wife had one, i had the other. went through customs on the way home

they didnt even count it as a separate item. we both had a carry on and a backpack(personal item)

also flew out to bozeman a few years ago, same deal

they wont hassle you

BTW, packed my flies on the carry on both times, feared losing them in the checked luggage, no problem there either

dont fret it, go have fun. what are you fishing for, where you fishing at?

Ship it. Chances are you'll have to pay extra for your gear bag, so just ship with a courier ahead of time.

I don't know what people feel the need to check, or carry on, their equipment. Using a courier will give you the benefit of a guaranteed delivery date, plus the ability to insure you items from damage/theft/misplacement/etc.

Went to Colombia (South America) with two fly rods 2 years ago. 4 piece work best because they pack smaller and are easier to carry.

Let me see what is in Southern CA......There is the Colorado River area down by Yuma AZ that has a good bass population. The well know lake Havasu is to crazy with drinkers/partiers. I used to fish from a boat at a lake not too far from Yucca Valley (deep enough for trout to survive) I think it was Silverwood State Park and of course the Mountain range Big Bear Lake area.

Best way to tell is to go online and view CA and then look up the lakes and rivers in the area and see what fish are in them and when they are in season.

not a lake fisherman. so rivers, creeks, brooks, runs ect.....hopefully we can fly fish for trout, but it's certainly isn't a deal breaker. we are coming from Burbank/Hollywood area, so we are traveling no matter where we go. We don't mind, we are used to it.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing flies or flotant. Heck we could go shopping for stuff in LA. But the rod and reel are coming with me and I like the idea of taking my 4 piece rod/reel combo, it's a 7footer so I'm not looking for 24 inch trout....although my bro will be.

If you're looking for some wild trout streams, you have quite a few options. The closest to you, would be to the east of Burbank, in the mountains north of the 210. Further east, in the mountains above San Bernardino, you'll have a few more options.

North on the 5, and you will have a few streams in the Los Padres NF to fish. There are also a few bass lakes in this direction, some of which also hold trout and stripers.

Even further north you have the Kern river, from Burbank about 2 hours to the lower Kern and 2 1/2 to 3 hours to the upper Kern.

If you want a little more detail, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Also keep in mind most of the streams are going to be running low for this time of year, due to this past dry winter.

Back