Flyfishing for first time in years. Recommend a location for this week?

M

mark2741

I flyfished for a few years but when my kids were born I just couldn't find the time anymore to devote to it. With them now older, I'd like to get back into it.

I figure this time of year I should probably try for bass/sunfish. I've never flyfished for anything other than trout so am looking for suggestions as to where I can go and have a reasonable shot at getting a few bites.

I'm located in King of Prussia, not far from Valley Creek, but with the temps and the difficulty of that stream from my feeble attempts years ago I want no part of it : )

Try the Perkiomen around Oaks. Plenty of access in the park above Rt. 422. Easy wading in that stretch or if you want the trail parallels the creek. Buggers and crayfish patterns should get you into some fish. If you want to try for something different hit the dam above 422 with some large baitfish patterns. You may get into some channels or flatheads.

Lock 60 recreation area if more SMB than LMB isn't a problem.

Wet fly + summer = panfish murder

mark2741 wrote:

I figure this time of year I should probably try for bass/sunfish. I've never flyfished for anything other than trout so am looking for suggestions as to where I can go and have a reasonable shot at getting a few bites.

You might try hitting Marsh Creek Lake. There's a state park there with accessible shoreline/wading. My guess would be that there are still some nice sized sunnies and likely some bass cruising close to shore, especially early in the am. Might be worth a shot.

OR the trot section of the Perkiomen. It's a bit further up the line, but It holds fish most years.

All good suggestions above.

The Perk is a good place to try. If you are looking for a lake to fish, try Green Lane and/or fish the Perk below the outflow of the reservoir. The Unami is another place to try. Good luck.

Back