Flyfishers Book Shopping. Avoiding Price Gougers

T

troutbert

Here are some tips:

Do not just check Amazon, and think that is your only option. There are some good honest sellers on Amazon Marketplace, but there are some real sharks too.

One of the common schemes is "book arbitrage." They will list books at high prices that they do not even possess. Their software locates books listed at lesser known websites at regular retail price, then they will list the book at a much higher price on Amazon.

If no one is selling the book at regular retail price on Amazon, their highly inflated price will be the lowest price showing on Amazon, and customers tend to think that Amazon represents "the market" for the book.

So they order the book, the "aribitrager" (actually his software) sends an order to the other website, giving the shipping address of the original customer. If all goes well, the arbitrager gets a big profit, without ever owning the book in inventory, without doing any packing, shipping, without ever seeing or touching the book.

And the customer gets charged a high price for the book, even though it may be available elsewhere at regular retail price.

So, you have to do a little checking around. Do NOT assume that Amazon = the market for the book.

2) Google the title of the book. That may bring up other sellers with the book.

3) Check these other major bookseller sites: Addall.com Alibris.com

4) Check Ebay

5) Check flyshops with good selections of books. That may have copies at regular retail price, when the only thing online is much higher priced.

6) Check Barnes & Noble's website. Stop by a store and see if they have it, or can order it.

Abebooks.com is also a great site for new/used books.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

klingy wrote:
Abebooks.com is also a great site for new/used books.

That's true. I should have included Abebooks.com with AddAll.com and Alibris.com.

A great option to buying is to use the ILL services from your local library. ILL stands for Inter-Library Loan. I have been able to get several Fly Fishing books via my service in Philly.

I don't remember the site but I was also able to find a site that allowed me to enter the ISBN number and get a list of sites selling the book and the prices. Great heads up Dwight, thanks.

Foxgap239 wrote:

I don't remember the site but I was also able to find a site that allowed me to enter the ISBN number and get a list of sites selling the book and the prices.

That was probably: www.addall.com

They compile listings from lots of other websites. How complete it is, I don't know. I wouldn't assume they have everything listed on here. But I would definitely include this in your search.

If you are searching for used copies, click the Used button, rather than just using the generic search window.

I recently bought several books from alibris.com for $1 each. The shipping bumped the total price up to about $4 each - but still quite a deal.

I also recommend getting things from the library. My wife usually goes there once a week - and has gotten quite a few FF books for me.

A quick web check on Dwights Book has prices listed from $1.99 to $350.00. Do not purchase this book for over list price.

troutbert, good info. I also check with the discount book stores such as the one at the Lancaster Outlets. I once purchased a book by Dwight Landis "Trout Streams Of Penna." (new) for less than half price. :)

Biggie wrote:
troutbert, good info. I also check with the discount book stores such as the one at the Lancaster Outlets. I once purchased a book by Dwight Landis "Trout Streams Of Penna." (new) for less than half price. :)

You're a good shopper!

dryflyguy wrote:
I recently bought several books from alibris.com for $1 each. The shipping bumped the total price up to about $4 each - but still quite a deal.

I have had really good luck with Alibris lately. The shipping is a bit high, and it can take forever to actually get the book, but the savings are worth it.

biblio.com is another option. Try using Google Shopping too; some of the independent booksellers that are out there must have been sold a software system that allows for publishing or feeding their inventory to Google Shopping. I managed to snag three copies of the late 1800's Report of the Commissioners of Fisheries (PA), which contain early Denton fish prints, using Google Shopping. I couldn't find the specific books from the specific booksellers advertised anywhere else.

alibris and abebooks both allow you to sign up and receive coupons, which are usually in the form of a percent off.

Google Shopping is one option. Just be aware of this, taken directly from the website:

"Why these products?

Products and offers that match your query. Google is compensated by some of these merchants. Payment is one of several factors used to rank these results."

troutbert wrote:
Google Shopping is one option. Just be aware of this, taken directly from the website:

"Why these products?

Products and offers that match your query. Google is compensated by some of these merchants. Payment is one of several factors used to rank these results."

Add that disclaimer to anything Google. You pay to get your products at the top of their lists, for all kinds of searches that run through them. That's the business they are in....

Back