Fly-tying

Chetty82

Chetty82

Its been a while since I have been on this forum and was thinking of trying to get better on tying flies. They look alright but just could be tweaked better to be more of a quality fly. My question to all you out there is is there any books or maybe a school out there that could help me hone in my fly-tying. Any input would be great.

Watch some you tube videos. Kelly galloups vids are goo and he gives a lot of tips.i heard once that it takes an average tier 10 dozen of a pattern to master it. Keep practicing and GO SLOW. I think my flies look ******.

I was thinking of going to Spruce creek outfitters one day and talking to Allan again to see if I could possibly talk to one of his tiers. And possibly see if I can spend some time with one of them. Also since I am still starting out and learning different things I think getting a guide and taking the beginners course over there would be extremely beneficial as well. I only live about 15 minutes or less from there. And I only live about 7 minutes from the Barree. Moved closer to the Little Juniata so I think thats why my interest in fly-tying has perked up more. That and buying flies individually is getting a little expensive.

this is my favorite to learn from,

http://www.amatobooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AmatobooksCom&Product_Code=157188369X&Category_Code=

Chetty,
Definitely hit Spruce Creek Outfitters.
Many local Trout Unlimited chapters and sportsmen's clubs offer tying classes, sometimes for free or a reasonable fee. And yes, Youtube is terrific.

Davie McPhail on you tube.

One more thing My buddy gave me a fly he had found and wanted me to ask some of you more experienced anglers what it is. It looks like a prince nymph but the body is composed of a red dubbing and a blue mylar wrap but as said before everything else looks like a prince nymph. Here is the photo of it.

http://tinyurl.com/d3na9am

Chetty82 wrote:
One more thing My buddy gave me a fly he had found and wanted me to ask some of you more experienced anglers what it is. It looks like a prince nymph but the body is composed of a red dubbing and a blue mylar wrap but as said before everything else looks like a prince nymph. Here is the photo of it.

http://tinyurl.com/d3na9am

Looks like one of the many Prince variants. It also does not look like a professional fly based on the number of wraps behind the bead and how the bead is set, so it may just be some guys personal variations. (Not a bad thing, even Doug Prince tied them with various materials and apparently never called one a Prince nymph). So it may not have a unique name.
On your original question, nothing can beat spending time at the vice with a good tyer. In addition, I have been highly recommending Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book . It does a great job of focusing on the fundamentals. And finally, ignore the common statement that you should tie flys to catch fish, not fishermen. Tie flys for yourself. If you are not happy with the way they look, then they are not good enough

Back