Fly Tying

thebassman

thebassman

Hey,

Just was wondering what got you guys into tying your own flies, and how you learned to do it? Not really a long, in-depth post, but just one out of curiosity.

Steven

i fly fished for a year first got tired of spending twenty bucks every time i went fishing(it was quantatable becuase i would always stop to restock) also wanted to do some patterns the local shops didnt offer so me and my day went to classes (BPS with bobby) i went completly crazy did the things everyone will tell a newbie not to do (bought a bunch of dry hackle,a dozen differnt types of hooks ,chenielles in colors i will never tie. did some of that oddball tying and then came around to where i am now which is basically tying relitivly tradational trout patterns(hares ear,pt,wooly bugger,micky finn . honestly if you took my standard nymphs tied on standard nymph hooks away from me i would have basically nothing except streamers and parachute drys. the one nice thing is now that i dont know what i have in materals or what i paid for hooks i consider every fly a savings of whever the orvis catalog says it would charge. so from that aspect i probably have made money
:-D :-D :-D

just decided it would save me some money, so I bought a cheap fly tying kit and a book on the basics, then just started to play around until I got the hang of things. That was at age 10, 14 years ago, and I've never stopped learning. Just recently began a foray into full dress salmon flies, but I still tie the basic trout patterns, as well as warmwater/saltwater patterns and classic quill-winged wet flies and Dette-style catskill dries.

I started tying in 2008 right after we bought our first fly rods for our first trip to Yellowstone. I guess my thinking was a money saving thing and besides my wife agreed that she would do all the tying since I did not have patience to sit and do that for hours. well was I ever wrong!!! My wife does not tie and all I do now is tie. I found out I love it and tie at least a few flies everyday.

Any particular book I should look into picking up??

I joined the Fly Tying club as a freshman in the High School I attended. My English teacher was the advisor and taught me how to tie and he also took us on a field trip to one of the local DHFFO streams. It was pretty cool to see the relationships established between this particular teacher and his students all due to fly tying and flyfishing.

AK Production Fly Tying Book is outstanding for learning techniques. Other than that youtube.com can practically show you anything you need to know.

if you ever come into philly i can show you the basics.i have a small fly tying library you could look at.

oh yeah,i originally got into tying because i lost so many flies.it was a neat idea to have a fully stocked box instead of buying flies for each trip.

what i have $$materials,it is doubtful i save money.but tying is addictive

I did it backwards. I started tying flys before I started fly fishing. My father-in-law gave me a bunch of his materials, tools, amd books just as I was moving to Atlanta for a job. I know there are trout streams in Georgia, but I just didn't have the time to find them, so I fished for a lot of bass and panfish. Since the books I had were all trout patterns, I became pretty good at warm water adaptation of trout flys.
I can second Gaeron's suggestion of AK's Production Tying. But for an absolute beginner I have been reccomending Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying. He starts with simple patterns and leads you through about 20 patterns that build fundamentals and have you tying flys that you will fish. AK's book is great, but it is more focused on technique than patterns.

Like dc410, I joined the Fly Tying Club my freshman year of high school. I had been fly Fidhing for 3-4 years prior With my Father, but he only fished wets and I wanted to fish dries. Instruction was top notch and included time on the water when weather permitted.

I started to Fly Fishing prior to me tying. I saw it as just another part of puzzel of the sport. I havent spent a whole lot of money on materials (my girlfriends father hooked me up with a lot of materials as well as my parents) I love tying but have been away from it for quite sometime now. (just couldnt fit it into my schedule for a while) but Just getting back into again after her father hand made me a table top desk for christmas. I am learning from books and youtube mainly.

I started fly tying about 3-months after I started fly fishing. I got into fly fishing in Erie, PA, for steelhead while I was in medical school. I got my first fly tying set for christmas & really used it to help me get thru my class work. It was a great way to clear my mind with all the studying I've done. I started tying some of the basic egg patterns & nymphs for steelhead, but now tie all kinds of stuff.

I would also recommend Charlie Crave's Basic Fly Tying. It's a great book for the basics. 2 other great books depending on what you're looking to tie would include Barr Flies by John Barr & Clouser's Flies by Bob Clouser (for streamers & good bass flies).

I know there are a few books but I think YouTube and podcast are a better way to learn. Look up some basic patterns and I'm sure there are some good videos online.

Marc

I started tying when I started fishing for steelhead. I taught myself to tie I had a basic book on general techniques. I started selling flies so my tying would improve. If you are tying just for yourself you'll only tie so many. By selling them I tie thousands of flies a year an get to improve my skills faster.

I started tying flys not to long after starting to fish. I wanted to save some money like most and also have the ability to tie patterns I couldn't buy. One thing to look for is to check with local Sportman's/TU organizations. Many of them will offer fly tying classes for free or for a very reasonable start. I attended one at the Mechanicsburg Sportsman's Club. I think it was every Monday night for six weeks or so and they would teach a different pattern each class. They started out with wolly buggers and then some easier wet patterns then moved on to an elk hair caddis then on to drys. It was a great way to get started and they had one experienced person sit in between every two newbies to help them along. I had a great time and learned a ton!

When I was 16 (45 years ago), I fixed an old bamboo fly rod no one ever used and told my dad I was going fly fishing. Being June, my dad told me I would never catch anything and offered a $1 for every fish I caught. I caught four on a balck gnat and got a basic fly tying kit for Christmas the following year. I was not that good an after a couple of years put it away. Fast forward 42 years. I was on Youtube one night wondering if anyone posted videos on fly tying.... Needless to say, I am addicted and subscribe to several channels. When I watch Youtube videos, I learn as much as possible about patterns and techniques. Also, I look for how I can put my own spin on the fly. There is nothing like catching a fish on a fly tied with your own hands. This past winter I started a new project. I am building my own rod and plan to be catching fish on flies that I tied on a rod that I built.

oh, and just a suggestion, I believe the greatest decision I made as a new tier was to subscribe to Fly Tyer magazine. That magazine provides a wealth of knowledge for both new and experienced tiers. O, and if you do, hold on to your back issues, believe me, you'll be glad you did.

I was fly fishing for quite a few years before I started tying. There was a kit on sale at a local Cabelas, so I though I'd give it a shot to save some money. Of course, the kit had so little that I ended up spending more money trying to get better supplies (the hackle in the kit was way to big, no superfine dubbing, crap hooks, etc)... then I decided to tie a box of flies for my dad for use throughout the year as a birthday gift, and managed to get better and better.

I've read tutorials online, have been reading fly fisherman mag for years (which has patterns in it every issue), and even went to the even-more-local BPS for a demo on occasion.

Back