Fly tying tool box

wgmiller

wgmiller

I have a machinist's tool box that was handed down from my grandfather after he passed away many years ago. As I moved from location to location through the years, I always toted it with me. I kind of thought it was a pain and other than nostalgia purposes, didn't see a reason why I kept it around.

I got to thinking the other day that it would make a fine fly tying tool box and have plans to 'refurb' it to do so. I did some quick nosing on the internet and quickly realized that this toolbox, aside from having sentimental value, has a high monetary value as well.

Here's the box: http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/52.htm

So I ask, does anyone else use a machinist's box like this to store their fly tying equipment in? As if getting sucked into fly fishing itself wasn't bad enough, now I'm eying up tying flies as well! The nice thing is that this box will hopefully be passed through the generations.

I see Orvis offers a very similar box for roughly 1/4th the price.

I am not one for organization. My table looks similar to what my bedroom would look like if it wasn't for my wife. There are totes and boxes with "some" stuff in them. Most of my materials are strewn all over my table. The best part of my organization is that everything is in a ziplock bag. I save the bags from everything I buy and separate all my materials. Everything else is a mess. I have thread on one tray, completed flies and tools in another, box for feathers, box for fur, hair, etc, box for chenille, box for eyes, beads, a tackle box with labels for all my hooks (probably the most organized part of my table) and random things here and there. I would love something like that, but it would inevitably look the same, just with a nice box sitting on the floor with stuff hanging out of it.

My father in law made my tying table, and for that I am greatful. If I have a son, it will be surely passed on down through the generations, so for that, I encourage you to find a place in your life for that tool box.

Ryan

In the background you can see a few of my materials... typical day on Ryan's fly tying desk.

I would need at least 20 of them to store all my personal stuff, and then some would not fit in..

I like it. I tie out of necessity, not as a hobby, and that would be just about right to hold my materials and tools. It sure as hell beats the cardboard boxes under my desk.

If you like the machinist box you should take a look at these. http://www.fortshockley.com/052300/WORKfrmC1.html

They are very sharp looking and very expensive. They are supposed to be for your travel kit.

I put a little elbow grease and some Brasso into her tonight and got it looking pretty good. Also tossed some Scott's furniture polish on it as well. Just need to replace the leather handle which should set me back about $35 or so.

1001449qw9.jpg

1001448ud2.jpg

1001445as7.jpg

It's an old box, but in great shape! :lol:

It looks great and the calendar is set to the correct month for fly fishing.

I have one I bought at Grizzly that I use to store my fly tying tools.

My grandfather was a machinist for the Bendix Corporation in South Bend, IN. They made brakes (among other things) for aircraft. I always remembered seeing pictures of WWII vintage aircraft when we visited.

As I cleaned up the box, I started to reflect on probably how few machinists and craftsmen are left in the United States these days. Years ago these people built this great nation of ours and now the very heart of our manufacturing base is struggling to survive.

Back to topic, now all I have to do is learn how to tie and stock it with all the necessary 'goodies'! One thing I did pick up from this board is not to buy a kit...

I just noticed the calendar uses replaceable cards. You could print out fly recipes or hatch charts to replace the calendar cards.

Not enough space for me either (my desk has the plastic compartment containers over-flowing, and I have another shelf and box full of stuff).

I will say that my fly tying students often use tackle boxes to transport their stuff. And I have used a cosmetic bag with divided compartments as a travel kit.

Back