Fly tying scissors no longer cutting

lars

lars

So i went to do some tying the other day and i'm really struggling to cut and trim materials
and was getting kinda frustrated. I took a closer look at my scissors. Uh, i think there's a new
pair of scissors in my future.
Any recommendations?

IMG 3684

kopter scissors

Renomed. Get a straight pair and a curved pair while you’re at it. And save these for cutting wire.

I like anvils for routine light duty stuff and fiskars for heavy duty work.
20240215 043937

scissors.jpg

fiskars are good for the price

Just like I never met a rod that didn’t cast I never met a pair of scissors that didn’t cut. I just buy whatever bobo scissors I can get at the cheapest price. Never had an issue with any and they all seem to last a very long time as long as you don’t drop them.

Never seen a pair break like yours did. That’s some heavy use there.

Consider what might be what kind of material you want to cut , maybe opt for 2 pair

thanks to all for the input, gonna try some of the renomed's.

I sharpen mine. If you don’t have the tools and equipment, find a shear sharpener near you.

For cutting threads, including kevlar, I prefer to use a "blade" in lieu of a scissor when possible. My go to blade is a box cutter type made by OLFA available at Lowes. The blade is perforated so the exposed dull portion can easily be snapped off to expose more blade. Cutting thread can be very close and precise to the fly.

NB: Do not confuse this with the X-Acto hobby knives/blades.

OLFA
9Mm 1-Blade Retractable Utility Knife (Snap-off Blade)

For cutting threads, including kevlar, I prefer to use a "blade" in lieu of a scissor when possible. My go to blade is a box cutter type made by OLFA available at Lowes. The blade is perforated so the exposed dull portion can easily be snapped off to expose more blade. Cutting thread can be very close and precise to the fly.

NB: Do not confuse this with the X-Acto hobby knives/blades.

OLFA
9Mm 1-Blade Retractable Utility Knife (Snap-off Blade)

Looks like the gutting knife I've kept in my vest for 20+ years. Not just for cutting trout bellies and I don't care how rusty it gets.

Do not know if it’s true as I have never tried it but I’ve heard you can layer a couple pieces of aluminum foil together & make several cuts across it with dull with scissors and it will sharpen them? Probably not going to revive yours though.

Do not know if it’s true as I have never tried it but I’ve heard you can layer a couple pieces of aluminum foil together & make several cuts across it with dull with scissors and it will sharpen them? Probably not going to revive yours though.
This trick works… not like a completely new pair but it definitely extends their life. Doesn’t work as well on non serrated scissors.

I originally planned to post that tip but after seeing the pics I was like that’s not gunna help hahah

Back