Fly Tying Rubber Leg Stone

gaeronf

gaeronf

A couple weeks ago we were dealing with a lot of high water (around me). I really wanted to still get out fishing but I knew I had to change my tactics a little bit. This fly ended up being a great producer for me. It has a lot of movement and is so simple to tie. Hopefully the video helps a little.

Hook: Long shank nymph hook or streamer hook
Bead: Gold Tungsten
Optional lead wire*
Thread- 140 denier UTC
Rubber Legs - I like centipede legs but you can use whatever
Body - variegated chenille (olive, yellow, brown, etc)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMoizupd6o[/youtube]

i like to add rubber leg antenna on mine as well. The do not look as real but i like the the added movement. Depends on the hole size of your bead if you can slide it up to the eye over the legs.

I like using this pattern a lot. I have made some very heavy versions for high water with a tung bead head, single wrapped body, and double wrapped thorax. It is a load to cast but definetly gets you down.

i believe it is called a drone stone pattern that is similar but isa woven body. I use hares mask, and natural sking and decent results.

Thanks for the video. Definetly a versatile pattern that should be in every fly box in multiple colors and size variations.

mike_richardson wrote:
i like to add rubber leg antenna on mine as well. The do not look as real but i like the the added movement. Depends on the hole size of your bead if you can slide it up to the eye over the legs.

I like using this pattern a lot. I have made some very heavy versions for high water with a tung bead head, single wrapped body, and double wrapped thorax. It is a load to cast but definetly gets you down.

Thanks for the video.

Yea. I find that you get plenty of movement just with the tails and 4 legs. Some people add another set of legs, and antenna on theirs but I'd rather save the time and rubber legs! It's all about preference and what you like.

So, same thing with the lead. What I tied in the video is typically the heaviest I go, because around where I fish if the tungsten bead, lead wire, and a good tuck cast doesn't get you down...yikes. Thank you for the feedback!

It is a turd stone.

Great video by the way. What do you use for the background to get the light blue color. Great step by step as well.

I agree all personal preference on the extra set of rubber legs. It is a great pattern to manipulate any way you want to. I use it a lot as pretty much a weight to get my main fly down, and down fast. The extra weight i put on is so I can fish faster, deeper water. Since I use fur it takes it slightly a bit longer to get down as the chenille.

What other colors do you have success with. I have yet to tie them with chennile and was wondering your go to colors. I purchased a ton of different colors from pearl and crystal to barred color variations. I did come across a barred color that is yellow with dark amber barring that i have been anxious to try.

mike_richardson wrote:
Great video by the way. What do you use for the background to get the light blue color. Great step by step as well.
I just have a light blue binder that I stand up behind my vise.

What other colors do you have success with. I have yet to tie them with chennile and was wondering your go to colors. I purchased a ton of different colors from pearl and crystal to barred color variations. I did come across a barred color that is yellow with dark amber barring that i have been anxious to try.
My favorite color would probably be yellow.

Thanks for the insight. wanted to try and make a few videos up as well but needed to get the set up ready.

Do you tie with the binder as a backstop while not taping. I am finding my eyes are not as good as they once were and get strained easy.

mike_richardson wrote:
Thanks for the insight. wanted to try and make a few videos up as well but needed to get the set up ready.

Do you tie with the binder as a backstop while not taping. I am finding my eyes are not as good as they once were and get strained easy.

Nope. I hate unnecessary stuff in my way. It's just another thing to hit with my hand. Plus, my eyes haven't started straining yet.

This is a great pattern for an anchor fly and lets you use an unweighted or more lightly weighted small fly behind it, which has a much more natural float and presentation. When I'm nymphing in fast or deep water, I almost always have one on.

Great video Gaeron. The turd is a great fly for trout, smallmouth, and steelhead. I tie them in black, brown, and a golden stone color. I hit the back of the golden stone with a brown sharpie. Tie with or without the bead. Great imatation for a big stonefly nymph or helgramite.

One of my favorite go to patterns for riffle water entering a deep pool. I like to tie them in the brown/ black variegated chennile and brown/ yellow. Tungsten bead and lead of course. Tied some too with the a size 8 jig style hook.

Great Fly and I liked the vid. Honestly, that combination of colors I've not tried, but will. To me, it's a Yuk Bug. I've been calling it the Yuk Bug 2 or Y.B.2.
The simplicity, cost, variations, availability of materials and time spent tying not to mention the overall effectiveness of the fly for different conditions and species make this a must have. I have dressed it up with an overback of thin skin and ginger chenille with a gold wire rib for an effective golden stone/ March Brown/ Grey Fox nymph. Covers many bases and ultra effective. Quck and easy is my kind of nymph. Under cold water conditions we push the limits of depth until ultimately getting tight. Many times we just don't get the fly back. I don't mind as much on a fly such as this. Great Fly and a must have. Larger size has overtaken the wooleybugger for me. I believe that says something for it's effectiveness.
The rubber legs create a unique sound footprint. I like to use the round rubber on the legs for that reason, it's more rigid. The Holschlag Hackle fly has become one of my favorite Bass flies and it exploits the same feature. A Clouser darter tied with rubber legs is an absolute summer killer.

Back