Fly Tying materials

Baron

Baron

I've been encouraged and also warned off about getting tying materials from Hobby Lobby. Shame. There is a Michaels and Hobby Lobby within 3 miles of my house and I love going to both.
Is there a fly shop near me that would have tying materials so I could go and as we say "kick the tires". As a potential new fly tyer I have trouble visualizing stuff on the net when I have never seen it in person first.

98% of the fly tying materials out there are per-packaged by a select few outfits and the quality is good. What you find in craft stores is for crafters which can be good for certain things, but not for others.

The selection of fly tying materials is typically low in shops right now but I have a feeling you don't need a whole lot. Knowing you are in Easton, I would suggest taking a ride to Shannon's in Califon, NJ, (not far from Clinton).

If you are headed to the Poconos there is The Evening Hatch in Lake Harmony and A.A. Outfitters in Blakeslee.

You’re correct that I don’t need much. For now , to tie Deceivers I ordered from Stockard. I’d rather patronize locals and often drive through Clinton and blakesley.
Thanks.

I thought chain and bead eyes would be nice from Hobby. Maybe feathers.

Local shops rarely if ever have most of the stuff I need and I'm fairly picky about color too which makes it even worse. Stockard is ok but their shipping time is terrible and I've had two mis picks from them. Fly fish food is decent but a little pricey on shipping. Best is Dakota Angler on price, quality, shipping time and cost. Also they offer natures spirit grab bags that are huge and filled with odd ball mats. Quite fun if experimenting or tying large cat flies lol

Baron wrote:
You’re correct that I don’t need much. For now , to tie Deceivers I ordered from Stockard. I’d rather patronize locals and often drive through Clinton and blakesley.
Thanks.

I thought chain and bead eyes would be nice from Hobby. Maybe feathers.
Bead chain is fine from a craft store, as is colored coated wire, glass beads and certain yarns. Sheet foam as well, however I buy mine at Walmart. Another problem with a lot of the stuff in craft stores is the quantity in the package or skein in the case of yarns.

Feathers are a whole other issue. It depends on what you plan to use them for. The majority of fly tying feathers or bird skins are packaged for specific fly types and they excel for that purpose because some individual with fly tying knowledge picked them out for that purpose.

Craft store feathers are packaged to look pretty and while some may work OK for some things, the rest are best used for Indian headdresses.

One thing you will quickly find out about fly tying: if you shop haphazardly, you will quickly accumulate a bunch of materials that you think you will use...

...but never do.

I suggest you decide on a couple of flies to try tying and make up a list of materials for that fly. Don’t fall into the trap that the material list is absolute. Keep in mind it is OK to substitute materials that are similar so you don’t end up with a lot of pattern specific stuff. Maybe pick fly patterns that are similar so you can use some of the same materials on both flies.

Don’t fall into the hook trap either. Decide on a hook based on its shape & size and use it for all of the flies you tie in that style & size.

When I first began fly tying, I bought the exact hook specified in the “recipe.” As a result, I ended up with a zillion different hook models. Years later, I wised up and chose generic hook styles in different sizes. While I still have many hooks, I don’t have 12 different hook models for the same type of fly. That keeps your inventory down and makes it a lot easier when you need to shop for more hooks.

Going to a shop will give you the chance to feel & touch the materials in the flesh (if you can withstand the sales pressure), even if they don’t have every color or thing you THINK you need. Once you get your feet wet, there are a bunch of online retailers you can buy from with confidence.

Hey drake I'll check out Dakota Angler. My go to color is always white at lakes I fish. Any other color is iffy.
I'm starting with the Lefty's Deceiver featured on that Afish video that he posted the other day. Its simple, Size is adjustable, it has a proven track record and I like it.
I already changed to a hook I prefer. Its longer and moves it back further for Pickerel. And to save 5$ I'm only using 2 instead of three colors of flash.
I'll tie a couple and send a photo but like drake king said the shipping is slow.
I still don't tie.

Sliding down that slippery slope..........

I chose the hook for its lefthand litheness, I chose 2460 Long-Shank Aberdeen Hook in size 4. I also have a couple of the weedless hooks Bam mentioned in size 6. I'll start with these.

Attachments

• 10027.Jpg
    10027.Jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4
I buy my foam at craft stores. It's certainly cheaper than buying it at a fly shop or from a fly catalog. Decent assortment of colors. You can usually find 2 mm, 3 mm and 6 mm sheets. Foam toys and other things that can be used for flies. Depending on the season you can find bags of foam circles or hearts that can be used for poppers. Feathers, not so much, some can be used for large soft hackles, saddle hackles for streamers. The marabou is pretty bad. You can find paints, sparkle material and art markers. The only thread I buy is the clear polyester thread which I use for a lot of my bait fish and streamer patterns, and silver, gold, copper and pearl metallic thread. The spools are large but I have a couple of bobbins I can use with them. They have those rattling doll eyes and there some things in the jewel section that can be of use in fly tying. Just be selective with what you buy.

Baron wrote:
I chose the hook for its lefthand litheness, I chose 2460 Long-Shank Aberdeen Hook in size 4. I also have a couple of the weedless hooks Bam mentioned in size 6. I'll start with these.

That's a decent hook for a lot of different flies. I use Eagle Claw brand most of the time. I've used them for poppers, wooly buggers, streamers, bait fish patterns.. If you look hard enough you can find them up to size 3/0

Jerry thats funny that you mention feathers and Foam. I had the foam in hand tonight after I ventured into the Hobby Lobby in Nazareth PA. I put the foam back because I didn't want to be distracted from making deceivers and I put the feathers back because I couldn't tell what they were exactly.
But I did get some bead eyes and odd tools of the trade that will be useful for allot of things. Tweezers, Sally Hard as Nails, stir sticks scissors and more.

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 5
Raid all of your friends sewing and knitting boxes.
I have tons of silk thread and floss from people who sew.

I say, go ahead and buy stuff from craft stores.

Whereas it is nice to support fly shops,they’ll charge you $3 to a ¢.

Fly shops and online are great for tying specific needs ,but,craft stores have some great stuff too. Fabric and yarn stores are worth checking out.

I went to AA outfiters and Shannons and really found it affordable to buy the real McCoy. Plus I had the added advantage of being able to ask questions of folks that tie.
I bought Scissors, Tweezers and Superglue from Hobby lobby, and will also look at friends sewing kit.
Shakey u mention yarn. can I sub heavy wool or poly yarn for dubbing?

Baron wrote:
I went to AA outfiters and Shannons and really found it affordable to buy the real McCoy.
Shakey u mention yarn. can I sub heavy wool or poly yarn for dubbing?

Yes , you can for many flies.
You can also chop it into pieces and mix it with fur in a coffee grinder for some great dubbing.

Many flies have yarn bodies or tails.

Gray hackles (red tags) are often tyed with a red wool yarn tail . A treacle Parkins has a yellow or orange yarn or floss tail.

A killer bug is only yarn and thread . A variation is ribbed with the copper wire cut from an electrical cord.

Doc sprately flies have a yarn body.

The tail on a wooly worm can be yarn.

Pass lakes can be tyed with a yarn or chenille body .

A very simple bass streamer is a yarn body with white hackle wings. Fly shop hackle? No. Craft store hackle.

Most dollaresque stores carry sally Hansen’s hard as nails. It’s nail polish, that is one of the most used head cements.

The bodies on most of my streamers and buck tails use Mylar tinsel from the dollar store.

Also,befriend a hunter .

Hunters will give you tons of fur and feathers.

I often trade finished flies to hunters for material.

An item that you DON’T want to go cheap on , is your bobbin holder.

Go ahead and spend the money on a decent,major brand bobbin holder. A ceramic tip is nice.

A good bobbin holder will save you hours of frustration over broken thread .
(Bobbin is simply another word for spool)

Here is my recent attempt at a pass lake. It is fatter than normal because I wrapped the hook in lead core wire before tying. It'll be fished in 6-8' as a wet fly for perch and crappy. Its weedless I hope.
Thanks for explaining the Wool. I have access to some and will enjoy using it.

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3
Baron wrote:
...can I sub heavy wool or poly yarn for dubbing?
There are TONS of places to get materials for less than a fly shop:

In the old days before there were 12,876,493 different packages of fly tying materials available, I used to get fur scraps from furriers or old fur pieces at flea markets. I don't hunt so I asked my hunting friends for feathers & fur and processed them myself.

IF I wanted to use yarn for something and didn’t need the crazy colors the fly shops have, I’d hit the craft stores or flea markets. The problem is a skein is 5 lifetime’s worth of fly tying yarn. A source of more reasonable lengths were people I knew who crochet or knit.

As far as wool as “dubbing.” Wool absorbs water readily. As a result, it has never been a preferred material for flies that float. Other than that, it is cheap and available but so is rabbit, which is MUCH easier to use.

“Dubbing” as a verb, is typically understood to be a means to get fur applied to a hook shank. “Twist dubbing” where you twist “dubbing material” around the tying thread is the easiest method and best accomplished with soft, fine fibers, which is why rabbit works so well. If the material you are using is coarse and slippery, other methods of “dubbing” are employed.

Keeping that in mind, it is possible to dub 00 steel wool on a hook if you know how, the problem is do you know how and is it worth the hassle versus buying a nice small bag of pre-packaged silver dubbing which will tie a LOT of flies and is ready to go.

If you want to use yarn as “dubbing” MATERIAL and wish to “twist dub”, you need to cut up the yarn into short small lengths and more or less separate it into single fibers so you can twist it around the thread. If you want to WRAP it around the hook, which is much easier, it had better be small diameter yarn or a single strand of a large multi-strand yarn. It will also end up having a segmented look that you may or may not want, depending on the pattern.

When I started out fly tying it was fun scrounging materials to save a dime here or there but I ended up with tons of stuff I never used. I still have “fur blenders”, a set up for dyeing & bleaching materials, electric hair clippers for shearing fur from skins and Borax and a drying board for processing skins.

However, I just can’t be bothered anymore with the hassles just to save a few $$$ because the fly shop stuff is ready to go in the colors I want. In addition, when I factor in the cost of the fly shop stuff PER fly, it still ends up being negligible. Sure, I might save money if I bought certain things at a craft shop, but because of the quantity I have to buy, I will only realize that savings IF I tie 100,000 flies and don’t have to do anything to the stuff I bought.

These days, about the only time I go scrounging is when I find a new synthetic material that I know came from the garment or craft industry and I know I’ll use a ton of it. Even then, I usually end up using fly shop stuff because it isn’t often I find exactly what I am after in other places. It is simpler and more cost effective for ME to buy what I NEED at a fly shop, versus what catches my eye that I THINK I may utilize and to choose materials that I can use on more than one fly pattern or type. As always, YMMV.

As far as tools go, purpose made fly tying scissors are reasonably priced taking into consideration if you follow one simple piece of advice, the same pair(s) can last you a lifetime:

NEVER use the same scissors for every cutting task!!

Save the nice fine tip scissors for cutting thread and a stray hackle fiber or two, get a half decent pair of larger scissors for cutting the course materials and use WIRE CUTTERS to cut wire!! I have a small 3” pair a diagonal pliers I’ve been using for ever and my scissors are just as old and going strong.

It may take you a few tries to find the perfect bobbin but the same advice goes here too, IF you plan to use a bobbin to wrap wire or other coarse materials, use a different bobbin than the one you plan to use for tying thread. You may also want to buy multiple bobbins so you aren’t always switching thread spools.

A ceramic bobbin while nice isn’t essential but it is a necessity if you plan to use Gel Spun or Kevlar thread which can cut a plain steel bobbin tube. Just be advised that you can break a ceramic bobbin tube if you drop it on a hard surface.

A whip finisher is nice to have if your fingers are rough or you can’t master doing it without a tool and a LONG reach version of a whip finisher can be a life saver. At minimum, have something that functions as a half hitch tool or a proper half hitch tool. A dubbing needle is another necessity although almost anything will suffice in a pinch.

There has never been more specialized fly tying tools available than there is today. While some of them are superfluous, other are downright brilliant, make the task at hand much easier and are worth every penny. Just make sure you REALLY need them.

Have fun and shop wisely!

[color=006666]Bam Wrote[/color]:"Save the nice fine tip scissors for cutting thread and a stray hackle fiber or two, get a half decent pair of larger scissors for cutting the course materials and use WIRE CUTTERS to cut wire!! I have a small 3” pair a diagonal pliers I’ve been using for ever and my scissors are just as old and going strong."

Amen!

Its tough to find the perfect scissors so why abuse them?
I was at two of the stores you recommended and was pleasantly surprised that they were as competitive as the internet with the added benefit that you can kick the tires before buying.

One of the shops sold even smaller packs that were half the internet price and he let me hold a Hardy Princess(lol, hope the wife doesn't find out). I am enamored with the P1492 and hope to upgrade in retirement to Hardy LWT or Princess.

[color=0000FF]Shakey[/color] my bobbin is the cheapo from Bass pro. It cost 2.99 and is made of SS. It is functional. I've dropped it several times and so I'm not sure ceramic is for me.

I hate dubbing and never knew until yesterday that there is wax. Are there any other choices?
This is supposed to be a Red Tag Fly for Gills and Perch but the dubbing was tough to keep on the dry thread:

Attachments

• IMG_3819 2.jpeg
    IMG_3819 2.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3
Back