Fly-tying instruction book

RonB

I have an 8 year old grandson that is super interested in tying flies. Does anyone know what book would be good for him to understand and learn from? I do not get to see him enough to help him along by on hands instruction. I bought him a new vise for Christmas to replace the one from his fly tying kit he got back in the summer. Remember he is only 8 years old.

Well,I believe the author of that book is only 15 now, and he's already earned a ton of fly-fishing related endorsement deals...one of the major publications did an article and interview with him a few years back, and from my understanding, that book would be a great start for a younger tyer, as it's written by a kid but its very in-depth and informative at the same time.

This is my favorite for starters. The pages are split horizontally so you can have the step-by-step pattern open on top and flip to pictures of the technique used to tie the fly on the bottom half. Very clear and instructive.

Edit: I'm no expert on 8 year old attention spans. I think the ample pictures should be enough for him to follow along. The text might be a little over his head. Not for long though. Good on ya for getting him involved at a young age. I wish I had done that.

Thanks for the link for amazon.com. Definitely will be getting that one for him.......That is just what I was looking for. All my books are to hard for him to understand. He has already been tying some San Juan worms and some other easy patterns. This spring I want to get him out fishing with the flies he is making.

51maKAS6wSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or here

http://www.tylerbefus.com/

Back