Fly Tying for "newbies"

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

At the moment I have a "starter" set that I had received as a gift about 9 years ago. While I enjoy attempting to tie certain things I find my equipment lacking....especially the vise.

I was wondering if I was to start over from scratch and put together a small set up to tie the main patterns of flies (adams, bugger, pheasant and hare ear nymphs...etc) what should I look into getting?

I know I need a vise, but a rotary vise? Griffen Spider Vise a decent one to start out with?

What type of thread am I going to need, materials, etc?

Does tying your own save you money in the long run?

You guys have been a big help on everything, and I figured if I had a question and it related to fly fishing to go ahead and ask it here.

Thanks,
Steven

Why replace anything you don't need to? There's guys here who happily use the simplest, cheapest of vices and do so with no need to upgrade, whereas other people seem to have a terminal fear of money and do their best to part with it as quickly as it comes in.

What's the short coming of the current stuff you have? Rather than go out and buy stuff, why not utilize what you've got, and when you do hit a barrier, THEN replace it, ie, if your scissors are dull, buy new ones (and put hte old ones away for wire, lead, hair etc).

Sit down, figure out a handful of patterns you want to tie becaus eyou use them alot. Write down the things youneed for those patterns. Then, goto the store and buy your list.

Go home, and practice.

There will be plenty of chances to waste money, you're just started, enjoy the ignorance-is-bliss naivete of cheap before someone turns you into a gear whore.

Does tying your own save you money in the long run?

Only if you don't run otu and buy everything you think you need because you thought you needed it.

You wont save money at least I haven't but sometimes I enjoy tying flies. Most of the time I hate it though. For someone who plans on get serious about fly fishing fly tying is a very important part of the sport!

No one has to turn me into a gear whore....I already am one.

It did not start with fly fishing, but music and hiking gear.....I am a gear nerd in everything I do....and I am guessing its going to carry over to fly fishing eventually. I am trying to watch it though and control myself a little.....for now

What is lacking about your vise? If it's a mechanical problem i.e. it won't hold a standard hook consider replacing it. You don't need a tru rotary vise to tie flies.

Thread - you can probably use #6 thread for most flies. Get the basic colors - grey, tan, brown, black, white and cream and you'll have about everything covered. #8 thread is nice if you're going to tie smaller flies, especially dries but #6 is probably the most universal size.

Save you money in the long run? - Compared to buying flies in a shop, I think it does but it depends on the materials you're using too. Good quality dry fly hackle will be the most expensive material you buy, far and away. But then, comparaduns work great and a small patch of deer hair for wings only costs a few bucks.

One other thing - get good scissors with fine points. I think scissors may be the most important tool to a tier.

I'd offer to buy your starter vise, but mine is still going strong after like 10 years.

I tie 1/0 to size 26 on it.

I genuinely can't justify an "upgrade". I find rotary functionality to be uncomfortable, and don't see much reason to get it. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I am perfectly happy with my old chinese AA style vise.

So yeah, what gfen said. Don't upgrade unless you need or want to.

Yeah I have fancy rotary vise and I never use the rotary function.

If you are going to tie don't ever be without "hot orange" thread. Just trust me on this one. If you are going to become a serious tier then buy the best vice you can afford. If you are not sure then use the one you have until you decide otherwise. It's ok to be a gear junkie at first. I was when I first started out and I sort of still am. I am just now getting rid of stuff I don't use and only buying the best stuff I can afford only when I need it (or at least think I do). You will go through phases in all aspects of flyfishing. It's a lot of fun so enjoy it.

I figure my vise will do just fine for now. I guess the tools I am going to need to invest in are a pair of scissors, a decent bobbin, a decent base of material. At the moment I have a mish mash of a bunch of things...I am going to have to sort out what I can use and what I am going to need.

Thanks,
Steven

www.sierratradingpost.com is usually the best place to get scissors IMO.

I get good scissors, hackle pliers, bobbin, and a decent hair stacker. For everything else, cheap is fine.

Steve,
try these:
Matarelli Whip Finisher
Wasatch micro ceramic tube bobbin {for pearsall's gossamer silk }
used for soft hackles
Griffin supreme ceramic tube bobbin {for all your other threads}
except kevlar use a cheap bobbin just for that
Scissors : Dr.Slick Arrowtip for regular tying and close work
Dr.Slick 4" : for trimming deerhair,quills,synthetics ect.
Bodkin: Griffin makes a good one white plastic handle
Hackle Pliers: English versions and Thompson type with rubber pads,some prefer lil circut test clipsalso called EZ Mini hackle pliers for small hackles and some prefer rotating type like griffin and tiemco make
Dubbing Twister:Turbo dubbing twister
about all a guy will need ever for tying
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Griffen Spider Vise a decent one to start out with?

i have a griffin spider vise. it does everything i need it to do. i dont use the rotary that much, but it does help on certain flies. great vise for the money.......

thebassman wrote:
I guess the tools I am going to need to invest in are a pair of scissors, a decent bobbin....

Hi Steven - Here's a great place to buy tools from:

http://riplipsfishing.com/Premium_Fly_Tying_Tools.html

They look and work just like Dr. Slick tools, but the price is better.

H.A.

lonewolve has a very thorough list of tools. I'll add one thing that is essential.
fingernail cutters. Use for wire, of course. But I also recommend using it to cut hackle stems and monofilament (ribbing). This greatly extends the life of your scissors.

Back