Fly Tying Desk

Deuterium

Deuterium

I have a 4 foot wide space that I can use to build a dedicated fly tying area. Suggestions on what it should include (e.g. drawers/what type and size; storage for spools; tying tool storage; lighting; how to store hooks; etc.) would be most welcome.

Also pictures or links to pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I got a cheap wooden desk from Ikea and I store all of my materials in various size plastic containers from the craft stores. No need to overthink this too much.

I guesss that depends on the room. My tying area is in the basement so it's just a bench. I have a portable tying desk that stores all of my tools and thread. I like the portable desks because I like to visit different areas of the house when tying. My materials are kept in plastic shoe boxes. Hook and bead storage is simple, keep them in the original packaging and stand them up in a small box like storing baseball cards.

I agree with CLSports, keep it simple and don't overthink it.

Agree with previous posts, no need for a special tying desk.

I have an IKEA computer desk I use for tying that works well for me:

-Vise sits on top of desk

-Main drawer > Pull-out / fold-down drawer for tools

-Hanging files drawer to organize materials

-Other drawer dividers for smaller items

-Shelf compartment stores bulkier materials in plastic containers

just a cheap plastic table from walmart

QZBDR3f.jpg

An old computer desk. Drilled holes in the keyboard pullout to insert tools. Plastic bins for hair, feathers. Plastic boxes with dividers for hooks and beads. Walmart thread rack. One drawer for dubbing. A hodgepodge. Nothing fancy.

Thanks for all your comments.

As a follow up, do you prefer a table so that there is more room to scoot the chair in or is a standard desk with drawers on both sides with a kneehole preferred?

Deuterium wrote:
I have a 4 foot wide space that I can use to build a dedicated fly tying area. Suggestions on what it should include (e.g. drawers/what type and size; storage for spools; tying tool storage; lighting; how to store hooks; etc.) would be most welcome.

Also pictures or links to pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Deuterium wrote:
Thanks for all your comments.

As a follow up, do you prefer a table so that there is more room to scoot the chair in or is a standard desk with drawers on both sides with a kneehole preferred?

From your OP above about having a 4 foot space for your tying area, drawers and shelves are very important considerations.

A table is just a flat surface to work on, which is certainly needed, but when you get into tying you will have tools as well as a whole host of different materials and feathers and skins to store and organize.

Good luck.

I also have to get something. In the family room I have a view of cone flowers and Goldfinch. In the basement it’s a view of the cinderblock Wall. Basements out. Location profoundly effects productivity.

I would go with a table and stack plastic shoe boxes under it. A desk is not going to have enough storage and the storage will most likely not be tying friendly. Not sure why tool storage is needed. The tools take up next to no space since they are very minimal.

Oof course, depending on the primary purpose of the room your better half may not agree with a table with stacked plastic boxes under it. If that's the case go with a simple portable tying desk you can take anywhere you like and store your supplies somewhere out of the way. I determine what I'm tying and then I take the material needed and go outside or to a window somewhere.

Some photos.....

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=special&page=GalleriesHome&GalleriesCat=Benches

I found the perfect solution for me about 6 years ago. A desk with a portable shelving unit. The desk is 40" long x 21" wide. It has a full length shelve above the desk, located at the rear. The shelf is 10" wide with 5 1/2" clearance below it. The desk height is 30 1/2" high. It also has 2 open shelves below the desk, located to one side, which allows 24" clear space for a chair. The portable shelving unit is 24" long x 10" wide with 3 shelves. The top shelf is 30" high. Very light weight, easily moved. The framing for both is tubular steel with wood shelves.

Look around before you make a decision. I bought this at Ollies Discount for cheap.

Back