Fly Tying Books for Beginners

RCFetter

RCFetter

Two very popular books for beginners are Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying and The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying. Details on each of the books are outlined below:

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying
By Charlie Craven - 2008
Hardcover # of pages: 280
Amazon Price - $27.95:
# of fly patterns including variations: 89

Publisher’s description: A series of practical lessons, Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying is a modern course in fly-tying fundamentals covering the essential tools, materials, and techniques needed to tie a wide range of popular flies. With 1,000 photos, this book is built on Craven's successful fly-tying classes, which start out with simple flies and work toward more complex patterns.

The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying By Ted Leeson and Jim Schollneyer - 2006
Hardcover Spiral # of pages: 189
Amazon Price - $32.93
# of fly patterns including variations: 111

Publisher’s Description: The first 25 pages of this oversized, hardcover spiral-bound book are filled with fly-tying techniques and the last 164 pages are cut horizontally across the page. The top half of the page shows tying steps for each patterns and includes references to techniques that are explained step by step in the bottom half.

Based on first impressions, the Benchside Introduction appears to be the better book. It could be classified as a beginner to intermediate guide. It is more advanced but Craven’s book is a bit more basic and more appropriate for a beginner. I don't think one is better than the other.

I don’t know of any single Internet site that has the information contained in either of these two books but they are expensive for a beginner on a limited budget. Does anyone have any other comments on these two books or any other lesser expensive ones for a beginner?

51knH5ispeL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

k2-_f91d9225-5449-4aec-a66b-f995c680055e.v1.jpg

A beginning fly tier can click on this site for free. It shows all the basic techniques one would need to get started with step-by-step instructions as well as animations and fly pattern recipes and tutorials:

http://derekspace.net/#basics

I second the Charlie Craven book. I followed it fly by fly when I was just starting to tie flies and it was a great learning tool.

There's nothing wrong with the old Fling & Puterbagh intro book, other than it includes no drones, videos, color photography or any of the rest of the whoop-de-doo. Just basic instructions on how to master all of the basic techniques one needs to tie a fly.

Used copies are available on Amazon beginning at one cent..

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Manual-Fly-Tying-Paul-Fling/dp/0806981466

I really feel like Charlie Craven's book is the best one out there currently. Yes, it tends to have a slightly western U.S. (Rockies) focus, but I have been tying for 20 years and still get something from it each time I open it.

Lesson book is very cool.

Back