Fly suggestions

R

RJD

I just moved back to Northeastern Ohio, and the Neshannock Creek is approximately 40 minutes from my home. What flies (dries, wets, streamers, nymphs) would you suggest to bring to try out on Neshannock as well as Cool Spring Creek? I was planning on making a trip now or possibly wait to next season. If nothing else, insight into what flies to tie for spring would be appreciated. Thanks for any assistance that you could provide.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Last time I fished NC I did well on a whitish colored hares ear size 16-18. This was a few years ago but I used to fish that creek about once a month.

I wonder how a beetle would do along the banks this time of year with the warmer weather you all have been having?

Good Luck

I've fished the Neshannock twice in the past 2 weeks. There are a fresh stocking of Rainbows there right now. Right now there is a very small caddis hatch sometimes but not much in the ways of bug activity. I caught a few last weekend on a caddis. I have good success there with egg patterns. My suggestion is to go and fish with what you have now, and prepare for next year. There are some great hatches there and I always just call up the fly shop to ask what's coming off a few days before my planned trip. The owner there is always willing to share info. If you're going to spend the money on a non resident license, the Slippery Rock creek and Shenango river can also provide some good fishing. The Shenango River is a cold water release where I have heard good reports of some nice catches recently, with little fishing pressure. Check them out, and don't forget about the Steelhead!

i fish NC weekly what works for me is basic nymphs pheasent tail, hares ears,prince nymphs, copper johns 16-20. for drys small cream midge 20-24 caddis 14-20 beatles ants they get a nice brown drake hatch in late spring also if you plan on going just call the fly shop the owner will help you and recomend flies www.ncflyshop.com

Back