Fly Rods

C

coachbarak

As I know this question is one I can answer myself but you guys on here have way more experience than I....How many types of fly rods do you need to fish for trout in PA? I have a 9' 5 weight, two 8' 6" 5 weights and a 7' 9" 3 weight. I will probably be looking to add a four weight next winter/spring but all in all am I equipped to handle most situations here in PA?

I think you've got most trout situations covered.

I was looking into a shorter 4 weight as well. A St. Croix 6' 6" Avid with Lamson Guru 1 on it. Use it as a dry fly rod and small terrestrial rod.

Anything but a 580-590 is a novelty to fill a niche, not a necessity.

That said, there is nothing wrong with having niche rods.

5'2" 5wt, 6' 5wt, 6'6" 6wt, 7'6" 3wt, 6'6" 2wt, 7'6" 4wt, A niche ?????? maybe

I cast the 6' 6" St. Croix yesterday and really liked it. I hope to get out on the stream this Sunday and test it out!

Although I like extremely short fly rods (

coachbarak wrote:
What do you think about that 6' 6" St. Croix Avid? You think it is mainly going to do well for dries and terrestrials or can some nymphing be done with it on small streams?

I have no experience with the 6' 6" Avid, but my 6' 6" 4wt Orvis catches a lot of fish on nymphs.

I own several short length fly rods, and its my belief that anything they can do a 7' or 7'6" rod can do significantly better.

So much so that anything under 7' is a niche toy.

I would suggest that FI's listing is just about spot on, and while there's plenty of small arguments one could have over specifics, you can't do much better than to follow along.

I got by for a number of years with only a 9' 5wt when I first started, and I would go on the record saying that anything other than a 8'6" or 9' 5wt is just to make a certain type of water/ technique easier to fish. Having said that, I would also add to this a 7wt of some sort. Definitely not necessary. While I don't do it often, the 7wt really helps to deliver sink tips and heavy streamers especially on windy days. I guess it all depends on what kind of fishing you like to do. A 10' 3/4 wt might also get some use as a czech nymphing rod if you are so inclined.

A 9'/5wt and a 7'6"/3-4wt will cover 96.3% of your trouting in PA.

Add rods as needed to fill the remaining 3.6% niche.

(Yes, I know that only adds up to 99.9%, there is no perfect quiver)

Back