Fly rod repair

F

Fly5

Can anyone suggest a rod builder for a repair on a custom fly rod. The hook keeper broke off last summer. I am located in the Lehigh Valley/ ALLENTOWN Pa. area. I would prefer someone generally local, say within an hour or so drive from the Lehigh Valley, as opposed to shipping the rod. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Fly5 wrote:
Can anyone suggest a rod builder for a repair on a custom fly rod. The hook keeper broke off last summer. I am located in the Lehigh Valley/ ALLENTOWN Pa. area. I would prefer someone generally local, say within an hour or so drive from the Lehigh Valley, as opposed to shipping the rod. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FYI > I rarely use hook keepers and prefer my rods not to have them. Most times my leader is as long as or longer than than my rod and to not kink the leader, I hook my fly onto the guide foot of the stripping guide, place the line over the reel and tighten it up.

Many times my leader is very long and I pull line off the reel until the fly line is out of my tiptop, place the line over my reel and hook my fly on the closest guide, and tighten up the line with my reel.

I can repair that, just pay for shipping, I may be more than 1 hour away.

Thanks for the replies. A little of the rod finish was compromised at the hook keeper, so I wouldn’t want to tackle that myself. My leader/ tippet is longer than my rod most times too. That is a good tip afishinado! Thank you for the offer laszio, I will keep your offer in mind. I heard about a guy in Northampton named Wayne, I might give him a call. About 45 minutes away.
Any other names will be appreciated!!

If your custom fly rod is bamboo, I highly recommend Art Weiler in Kunckletown, PA. He did a great job reconditioning my grandfather's 1964 Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod.

+1 for Wayne.

Great guy. Great work. Watch your head walking down the basement

Actually, it is a graphite rod. I heard about Art, he is the bamboo wizard from what I hear. Thanks for the thumbs up on Wayne!

If you're talking about Wayne Serfas, he's a wizard.
He's fixed a couple of my mistakes over the last couple years.

I sent you a PM, I'm in western Berks County. For the record, Wayne is definitely a great guy.

-Chris

Thanks for the replies!! Chris, I got your pm and definitely noted your interesting website. Thanks Again

I finally got around to having my rod repaired a few weeks ago. I went to Wayne Serfas in Northampton. Wayne’s Custom Crafted Rods.
As mentioned above, a great guy and craftsman. He did an amazing job, the thread color matched perfectly. I highly recommend him.

Back