fly rod recommendations

A

atticus

I am considering purchasing a new fly rod and would like some recommendations.I am thinking of a long rod, maybe 10 foot and fairly light, 3 wt. I want it primarily for nymphing and swinging wets, but it has to be versatile so I can cast a dry fly half way decently.I would like to keep the price under $500. I was thinking of the Grey's Streamflex 10 foot 3 wt. Glad to hear any recommendations or suggestions.

Esn, Streamflex, Zenith, BVK

All good rods for what you are wanting to do.

^

Pro tip at no charge. Take it an run

I have the Streamflex in the 11' 3wt and really like it. Great nymphing or wet fly rod primarily because of the ability to mend line across different currents. Also handle a dry with ease when you have ample maneuvering room.

That is one of my next rods. I played around with a friends and was able to keep my line off a huge fast run and hit the opposite slack water. Wouldn't be a rod I would recommend tossing a dry though.

this is timely - i'm looking for a 9ft 3 wt - but can't find anything around $150.

as Becker was saying the length is an asset - i was out nymphing on valley and whilst the length of the 9ft 5wt was most welcome, the 5wt was a little over gunning the small brownies.

for me on VC 10ft is a little long i think.

so any suggestions would be most welcome - i don't see anything on eBay right now.

cheers

Mark.

I have a Hends XP in a 9' 3wt with a extension that will make it a 10' rod and i really like it

You want a 9' 3wt? Let me do some research and I'll pm ya.

krayfish wrote:
You want a 9' 3wt? Let me do some research and I'll pm ya.

yeah. cheers. Thanks

it seems Cabelas LST and Greys Streamflex (I) were 903-4's but their newer replacements are $290/$300 - which is a lot for a non workaday rod imho.

i'd look at glass or cane.

geebee wrote:

At 9' long?

To quote Rachel Jeantel, "That's real retarded, sir."

As someone who owns, and uses, 9' rods both in both those materials, its about the worst possible suggestion I've ever heard for the general public.

Its also unrealistic. There's no such animal in either material.

gfen wrote:
geebee wrote:

At 9' long?

As someone who owns, and uses, 9' rods both in both those materials, its about the worst possible suggestion I've ever heard for the general public.

I really wouldn't use the same words as Gary, but I agree with his opinion. Longer rods should be made of graphite....the best overall material found to-date for making fly rods, IMO.

Anyway, from the OP, the right 10' 3wt or 4 wt graphite rod can be an awesome tool for fishing nymphs, wets and even dries. Fling a few of the ones mentioned in the above posts to find one that works best for you. Good luck.

gfen wrote:
geebee wrote:

At 9' long?

it wasn't a suggestion, it was a request - i meant I would look at glass or cane....if that's all there was around.

but thanks for the advice anyway ;-) likewise Afish.

Well, one of those sticks is harder to find than I thought.

Found used Loomis IMX 9' 3wt for $225
New Redington Link 9' 3wt for $175

There were some blanks out there if you wanted to build your own.

Thanks Kary, it looks like i'll have to go over $150 up to the Link or a Cabelas LSI 930-4.

Redington used to make a CPX 390-4 but now out of stock.

this has really surprised me, cos i thought long light rods were all the rage with czech/polish/french nymphers.

maybe they came and went.

i also think they'd be ideal for mending a team of wets me.

The nymphing rods you are looking for are not normally ever made in a 9ft model.

I have a ten foot four wt. Allen myth, it is now my favorite rod to fish. Give them a look see before you make a decision on one.

SBecker wrote:
Esn, Streamflex, Zenith, BVK

All good rods for what you are wanting to do.

I agree. Personally, I fish the 11' 3wt Streamflex, which is an awesome euro nymphing rod. I would stay away from the BVK which is going to be a little faster than the other rods here UNLESS you want the flexibility of a small stream 3wt as well.

streamflex do a 11ft 2 wt. wow. i can't even imgaine how to cast that....

Thanks for the feedback.Now where can I try out some of theses rods?I'd like to try out a few, esp the Grey's Streamflex 3 wt 10 or maybe even 11 foot.

This was listed in swap forum...

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open-forums/swap-forum/grey--039-s-streamflex-xf2-10--039--4wt--sell-or-trade/14,33295.html

Back