Fly Rod Length

W

Wharfrat

I am planning on treating muself to a new 4 wt for Christmas. I do most of my fishing on smaller streams with a low canapy like the Little Lehigh. I fish nymphs about 80 % and dry's 20 % of the time. I am considering a an 8' rod but I am not sure if that would be ideal for nymphing . Maybe a little too short. Any thoughts ?

your gonna get 100 different opinions on this! bottom line, it's all what you like and how you like to fish. there is no "wrong" rod, if it works for you, then it's all good.

I use an 8.5' or 9' rod on the LL. To me, this stream is wide-open...lol. I always use the longest rod I can get away with for better reach and mending, and save the short rods for streams that are really small and tight.

I've never fished the LL, but most streams can be fished with a 9'; and you'd want the reach to not spook fish.

All of the full canopy streams I fish I use a side-arm cast.

I only recomend shorter rods for tiny streams, like mountina brookie streams.

You'd be surprised how well you can use a 10' rod with trees lining the banks and closing overhead.

That said, an 8' rod is way versatile if you want something more all around.

I don't consider the LL a small low canopy stream - 9fter is fine. I've fished the LL (all sections pretty much) with a 7'6", 8'6", and a 9ft in the past few years (I live on it). I'm currently using a 9ft and have no issues...its pretty wide open when compared to small wild streams...even at its tightest i can make the 9ft work. The 7'6" i found lacking in reach for tight lining or mending at times.

If you're going to be doing a lot of nymphing, I'd say go with the 9ft. You won't be doing a ton of distance casting, so you shouldn't get hung up a lot, and that 1ft (shoot, even 6 inches) makes a HUGE difference when it comes to drift.

A better way to make a recomendation might be for you to tell us what other rods you have in your arsinal, so to hopefully fill a void.

I know some streams up here where a 3' rod would be to long.. You want canopy, you should come up here.

Thanks for the advise guys. I currently have an 8.5 ' and a 9 ' 5 wt. Unlike my other two rods, the 4 wt that I am looking to buy is a soft/medium flex . I tested it on the stream and new I needed to have one. I just have to decide what legnth.

sounds like you have the longer rods covered, maybe get the 4 wt in a shorter lenght, 7'6 or so. like mentioned above, all depends on what kind of water you fish and how you like to fish that water.

Just remember, the feel of the rod will change with the length.

Back