fly rod blank question

• Thread starter TheWalkingTrout
  • Start date
T

TheWalkingTrout

I was considering buying a fly rod blank and kit that includes everything but the thread and varnish to finish the rod. How hard is this process? I've never built a rod before and was wondering if it's worth saving some money and doing it myself? How expensive is the thread and varnish? Recommendations? Where can I purchase the thread and varnish?

I wouldn't suggest going the rod building route if the only goal is to save money. The learning process can be slow and frustrating if you're doing it for reasons other than learning a new craft. Once you hone your skills, you can save money on rods.

You can get all of the stuff you're looking for by searching google for "rod building". Cabelas also carries rod building supplies.

not hard at all, plenty of places on the web to learn from.
i get most of my stuff from hook and hackle because they're a PA business. http://www.hookhack.com/

if they don't have want you need, try www.mudhole.com
they also have building instructions in the site.

I have the flex coat instructional DVD, your welcome to have it if your out my way. Its not that helpful, but covers the basics.

Also, check out this forum. any ?s you have will most likely already been discussed. http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/

Lastly, is it worth it to build your own, you ask? Yes, until you break it or want to sell it.

I say go for it and enjoy! If you like it, you can certainly get higher end rods you otherwise could never afford or real cheap blanks off e-bay to fill the gaps in your fly rod line up.

TWT,
By all means try your hand at rod building. I love it and build pretty much all my fly rods these days. Sure, you don't get a warranty but I've always fished cheapo rods and rarely cared to purchase high end gear. With rod building, you get the satisfaction of customizing things a bit and you will save some (not a lot of) money. I like Rainshadow and Cabelas blanks which are low price, and I don't sweat details like guide winding. Fish 'em till yuh break 'em then build another is pretty much my fly rod philosophy.

I have hoped for some months after seeing Frederick with his, to build a "switch rod" for big bass rivers and my blank came today (woo hoo!) so I've got a new fly rod to build and play with.

Don't try to build your dream rod on your first attempt. Rod building like fly tying takes some practice and time to build your skills. If you have any use for a spinning rod then check out some of the inexpensive kits from Cabelas, they come with all you need for your first rod. Be sure to check out the videos from Mudhole, they will give you a good idea of what's involved.

If you can tie flies you can build a rod...You might save a little money but its not a good reason to build a rod. If you like your finished rod it'll be way better than anything you ever could buy.

Start here for what you are missing.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fly+rod+building&_sacat=0&_odkw=rod+building+fly&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1311

you'll never save money building a rod, it only leads to building many many more!!!
best bet is to hook up with someone who has done it before. nothing beats seeing it done in person

Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't made any decision yet and will be doing some more research before I purchase anything.

Back