Fly Rod Birthdays

JoeE

JoeE

My Wife and my daughter’s birthday's are coming up in September and our newly adopted little Boxer’s birthday is tomorrow and my son was looking through our rods and said Dad this rod is dated August 1994 ( my work horse a bamboo 7’9” 4wt #002, my Dad has #001). The first thing that came out of his mouth was that’s old why don’t you make a new one (the young) because I like that taper and it has two tips. If I need one I’ll make one. Then the truth comes out but I don’t have a 7’9” 4wt. So maybe by Christmas if I can find the time. But how many of you get a good rod because of the age?

Never got one cause of age but did build one cause of what I was going after which would be Muskie. Saved me some money in the process.

I'm dipping my toe into fiberglass. I sold a fenwick years ago (my first fly rod- sorry I did) I bought an Echo riverglass for my birthday and am waiting for conditions to cool down before taking it on its first trip.

I'm dipping my toe into fiberglass. I sold a fenwick years ago (my first fly rod- sorry I did) I bought an Echo riverglass for my birthday and am waiting for conditions to cool down before taking it on its first trip.
I fish a lot of fiberglass rods. I love em.

Haven't found one yet but I've been looking for an Orvis battenkill bamboo made in the year of birth 1954.

Last edited:
I like the Epic Fastglass rods. The Barclays are beautiful but very pricey. Epic sells complete build kits that sometimes go on sale. A good winter project,

Haven't found one yet but I've been looking for an Orvis battenkill bamboo made in the year of birth 1954.
I was lucky enough to find a Battenkill with my birth year of 1968.

My wife conspired with a maker in NC to make me a clone Dickerson 8014, 8’ 6wt for my 50th bday.

Love them both

For my 35th birthday my wife arranged for me to buy myself a Wagner Patriot bamboo rod. For my 50th I got a vintage Orvis "99".

I have a rod addiction and a great wife.

I've bought a number of bamboo rods because of their age. My oldest is a H.L. Leonard 50DF Tournament made between 1924 and 1928--nearing 100 years old and still in regular use:

Back