Fly reel under $100

S

spentwinger

Ready to step up the fly reel, but can't see spendin the big bucks....yet. Does anybody have a great reel out there for under $100? Thanks for any input.

Dont forget to mention you're looking for a 4-5wt reel.

G.loomis venture is the best bang for the buck!

Go to allen fly fishing online - tell them Ernie sent you.

Thanks EB and skiltonian! Will check 'em out.

I like the orvis battenkill for 89 bucks. been making them for years, parts and service readily available should the need arise. I have one that has to be around 20 years old and it still looks and works like new.

I have and Echo that was $80, and well worth the money.
It was my first step-up.

I would check out Allen & co. they look like quality reels.

bikerfish wrote:
I like the orvis battenkill for 89 bucks. been making them for years, parts and service readily available should the need arise. I have one that has to be around 20 years old and it still looks and works like new.

What he said.

Also, medalists.

So my dad (spentwinger) ended up getting a GLoomis Venture 5 with new Cabelas Presitge (the stuff thats the same as the Cortland 444 I believe) line and backing.

I am jealous

IMO, the battenkill can't be beat! I have several, only ever had one problem, when I took it apart, it wouldn't stay together. I sent it back to Orvis, they fixed it, now it's fine...no charge!

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with the Venture 5. Used it this weekend. Worked nice. So far, very pleased. Spooled it with Prestige Hyperglide. Like that too. On sale on-line.

Glad you like it. Hope it is as reliable and durable as mine has been!

I have a Battenkill BBSII. Wonderful reel, no complaints about it. Looks good, and fishes good.

Opps didnt read your last comment. Congrats on the new equipment

Hello, just browsing the thread. I discount the reels for forum members. Im in the Gear Talk section under Allen Fly Fishing. I'll post the discount pricing for you guys.

Thanks

Back