Fly Reel Co's Now Gone

S

Sylvaneous

Something triggered in my brain to remember some fly reel companies that have disappeared.
Maybe they still exist or maybe they don't. I didn't do any kind of an exhaustive search.
Marryat. They were a big deal in the history of fly reels. A top notch brand that vanished in the 'modern' era.
Of course, the original Pflueger, Medalist, but how was the same, identical reel going to maintain itself.

Tetons were beautiful reels. Reels that I aspired to when I was a developing fly fisherman. Rod had them zip-tied onto a display board in his shop on the Little Lehigh. They had oval cut outs and 2 color anodizing. THen they had a lower-cost reel that lasted longer in production. Super nice.

J. Ryall. I learned about them later. THey looked like and sounded like great reels. Nicely classic. So unlike the skeleltonized reels today. The reel handle was counter balanced by a weight on the rim with the company name J. Ryall. I bet they were great but I have no experience.

Lamson was an older- but not 'old' school reel company. They emerged with Sage. maybe there was some interaction between them. But they went teats-up when they could no longer compete when Ross took off. They are completely different now, owned by Waterworks, and a much better company. I have several Lamsons. Most of my reels are Lamsons.

Ross got remade. I think they were sold and of course, the bottom-feeding acquireres ruined it. It has come back, but it charges too much for the original reel that made them great, the gunnison. NO way should you pay $400 for that reel. So many are as good for much less.

Nice to see the Bauer is still kind of relevant. The high-end reel market is really crowded. They were one of the innovators that the new crowd that entered flyfishing after "the movie" encountered. They were beautiful reels with that screw-down star drag. The new reels aren't as beautiful. My buddies that worked at Bob Jacklyn's got one to re-string and they oogled over it.

Galvan emerged late. They were 'expensive' at the time, being more so than a Ross Gunnison, but were great, innovative reels. I first saw them at The Evening Rise in WhiteHaven. They have hung on and are still relavent, yet are just a higher-end reel, not super expensive.

Able is still able. Hunting deer with a 375 H&H magnum. Go for it.

Cheap Chinese reels are so good and the 'good' reels are so astronomically expensive. (hey, spend all the long green you're making. Better than sending it out of the country.)

Good history lesson/reminder...

Curious, is Bauer reels the same company as Bauer Harbor Freight?

Millsertime wrote:
Good history lesson/reminder...

Curious, is Bauer reels the same company as Bauer Harbor Freight?
Just a wild guess that a company selling reels between $400 - $955 made in Montana isn't the same company that is selling $39 cordless drills made in China.

;-)

Another lesson...

...take care of your $#!+.

I'm proud to say I have my first spinning reels, my first fly reels and both would be considered in excellent condition at well over 30 years old.

The only non click & pawl reels I own which were purchased after using my original reels for eons are nudging 20 years old and excluding a few high end fly reels I bought for bamboo rods, everything else is Hardy.

It's nice not having to worry...

Ross reels are currently owned by Abel, so they may be able.

I still have my Teton Classic 4 and Lamson LP2.
The Lamson LP2 developed a spool wobble and was repaired(at no charge) by Archuleta Reel Works who acquired the remaining Lamson parts inventory after they were bought by Waterworks.
The 4 wt. Teton was a first run in the champagne finish and started to flake in a few spot. They were willing to replace it as there was a problem with the anodizing process during that first run. I grew to like the rugged look of the reel and kept it. It still gets fished often and balances nicely on my 6'3'' 4wt Jim Beasley Midge.

I own multiple J Ryalls and still fish them . Just solid reels , heavier than what's out there today . But if you look at eBay the value of those reels have shot up . Finally a good investment . .
I wish I had bought a Solitude Reel , I believe they were engineered by a Retired General Motors engineer and where designed for Michigan steelhead . , Sealed drag for those cold winter days .

I have a Ryall reel that still gets use. As good as they were in the past the new offerings from companies such as Ross, Hatch etc are better albeit more $$$

Ryall Reels were also marketed under H&H (Hook and Hackle) and are identical except for the name. Even the spools are interchangeable.

Bauer is actually owned by RL Winston

Back