fly recommendations for Clear Shade Creek in sw pa?

C

coyote

looking for advice...

Thanks!

I sure don't know what I'm doing yet, but I caught 4 brookies and a rainbow on nymphs this evening. Flashback Hare's Ear in "natural' color, size 12 seemed like the favorite. I caught the rainbow on a nymph that looked like a rough pheasant tail (though not sure of its exact pedigree.)

first time in my life I felt like I could call myself a Fly Fisher!

coyote wrote:
I sure don't know what I'm doing yet, but I caught 4 brookies and a rainbow on nymphs this evening. Flashback Hare's Ear in "natural' color, size 12 seemed like the favorite. I caught the rainbow on a nymph that looked like a rough pheasant tail (though not sure of its exact pedigree.)

first time in my life I felt like I could call myself a Fly Fisher!

Well done!
Oftentimes, it is just a matter of experimenting with some different (but fundamental) methods. Should I fish a nymph and, if so, what type? Streamers or dry flies - should I fish upstream or down? These are fundamental FF questions and as you continue to practice, you'll get a better feel for how to answer these questions.

Another good angle to adopt when you're pondering what flies to use is to watch the stream for a few minutes when you first arrive. Try to resist the urge to string up your rod and fish. Just watch the water for a few minutes. Do you see fish rising? Are there bugs in the air? If the answers are "no" then pick up a rock from a riffle and look at the insects on it. What size, color and shape are they? Then fish a nymph that resembles those bugs on the rock.

many thanks, Dave_W!

I will take your advice to heart!

it sure was fun actually CATCHING fish on a fly (that I wouldn't have caught otherwise)!

Back