Fly line

Nymph-O-Maniac

Nymph-O-Maniac

I'm asking for advice from you all. Here is the situation. My fly line is about on its last legs. Now I do have 2 other reels holding beginner line on it, but I want to purchase new line for this reel. I'm a 75% nymph fisher and 25% dry fly. (Maybe less actually) but anyway what do you recommend? Sint tip? etc etc...

what's a "beginner line," exactly?

yes, its a loaded question. if they're weight appropriate to teh rod, just use them.

Not that I am hating on it, its just the line that comes with those super cheap rod, reel sets that is your super generic line.

I'd go with a double taper line in the weight of your rod or one over to help it load quicker for nymph fishing. Floating is your call, but I wouldn't get sink tip for nymphing, but that's just me. If you can, try to get to cabelas in hamburg. Thats only about an hour from you, and they have a great selection of line.

Or just use the "beginner lines" until they fall apart.

Otherwise, what he said, but more vociferously so against a sinking line which is about as pointless as it gets for general use. Also, not one weight up, DT lines are heavier than WF lines so once you break the 32' front taper you'll be consistently carrying more weight.

A floating line should cover just about all your needs.

I'm with beeber. You can nymph with a floating line much easier that you can dry fly fish with a sinking tip.

Yeah, in PA trout fishing, 95% of what is out there is best fished with a floating line.

Only exceptions are if you are big on fishing big rivers (smallmouth or trout) like the Delaware, Lehigh, Susquehanna, Allegheny (below Kinzua), etc.

But most streams, yeah, go with a floating line no doubt.

Cortland 333 weight forward. Its cheap and holds up as good as other lines. When the line starts to crack its no good even if it is double tapered. I've had all kinds of lines and the higher end lines just seem to disappoint me.

Don't get a sink tip. It's an incredibly specialized tool in PA.

I prefer WF to DT because I do often cast to the running line, and because I don't like how much space a DT takes up on the reel. To the average beginner, I would recommend DT.

As far as brands, you do get what you pay for, but unless you know exactly what it is that you're getting, I would say the cheaper the better.

FWIW, Allen has inexpensive lines that will do the trick. Weight Forward Floating will be what you're looking for. If you want to drop some coin on a nice line.... try Scientific Anglers GPX.

wsender wrote:
FWIW, Allen has inexpensive lines that will do the trick. Weight Forward Floating will be what you're looking for. If you want to drop some coin on a nice line.... try Scientific Anglers GPX.

What makes a GPX special is that it's a half size heavier to load super fast rods. You won't see any benefit from a GPX line without a rocket fast rod, and even then all it does is slow the rod down.

This is also the case with rio grand, which I love for nymphing.

I would recommend getting another higher end SA line for the quality, but the GPX label is specific to fast rods.

jayL wrote:
I would recommend getting another higher end SA line for the quality, but the GPX label is specific to fast rods.

I'd pontificate endlessly here, but anyone who's of mind to read it already knows what I'd say and how I'd say it.

Outside of speciality tapers or knobby fly lines, they're really not much different from one another. They all come from the same places, and outside of fancy features and funny tapers, its all more or less the same.

FWIW, my own personal preference for my mod to slow rods is Cortland Sylk because its got the longest front taper, and it seems to cast like a dream for closer in stuff. YMMV.

edit: misread. My bad.

And I agree. It's silly. Spend less on a slower rod and fish the proper sized line on it. That said, I do overline my faster rods if I wish to fish them on smaller streams.

Thanks for the incredible information guys. It is really appreciated. Out to buy some new line now.

jayL wrote:

Sometimes I can exercise restraint!

gfen wrote:
jayL wrote:

Sometimes I can exercise restraint!

Apparently so.

I thought you were saying that there is no difference between an allen line and a higher end line, which I adamantly disagree with. There's lots of margin in fly lines, but you do get what you pay for with some of the more expensive ones. This was an outright misread on my part. Anyway, I enjoy all of the allen products I've gotten, but that sticky, gummy line went in the trash after sitting it on the "backup" shelf for a few months. Perhaps it was just a bad apple, but I'd rather pay triple than use it. I am very particular about my lines since I am so reliant on shooting them.

If yer goin' cheap, I think it's hard to beat the cabela's prestige and hook and hackle lines, which are manufactured by cortland. I have had one bad cortland 444 that refused to shoot, but have had 6-7 great ones.

If you're looking for a good DT line get SA's mastery trout. I've had mine for some years now and it pretty much throws itself.

I had a DT green line from Allen last year and it was great the first day I had it.. next outing not so much. The texture on it felt like chewed gum.

I been using rio windcutter the last few years in wf floating. I don't have any complaints yet. I am not sure what it retails for though. Also if you have time head up to the cotrland factory. They always have super deals on line and reels. I am pretty sure its old stock but where else can you get a 444 for 15 to 20 bucks...... good luck.

Back