Fly Line

TLoomis

TLoomis

So I am in the market for new line. I did alot of research a while ago, and was just about to buy new line, but I ended up buying a Jeep....so I needed to pay that off and couldn't buy the line lol. I have Orvis Green Mountain right now. It doesnt float anymore (even after dressing/cleaning it) and it doesnt pick up nice. But it was 10 dollars lol.

I was looking into Rio and Scientific Anglers. But they can get a little pricey. I am looking to spend around 50 bucks...or less :-D

What do you guys suggest?

Green Mtn is a cheapo line. Anything would be an upgrade. If you like Orvis..they have some on sale...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351

Good old Cortland 333 has always been a good inexpensive line.

Cabelas line is also on sale and includes backing...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0078702316494a&navCount=1&podId=0078702&parentId=cat21430&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21404-cat601979-cat21430&catalogCode=OG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21430&hasJS=true

tomgamber wrote:
Green Mtn is a cheapo line. [color=CC0000]Anything would be an upgrade.[/color] If you like Orvis..they have some on sale...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351

Good old Cortland 333 has always been a good inexpensive line.

Cabelas line is also on sale and includes backing...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0078702316494a&navCount=1&podId=0078702&parentId=cat21430&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21404-cat601979-cat21430&catalogCode=OG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21430&hasJS=true
Thats what I figured lol.

Man, those are cheap! Is there a noticable difference between this stuff and like Rio Gold? Or Mastery GPX

This is going on my main rod, so I dont wanna skimp out, but if it is good, why not save the money

Rio and SA are only 10-15 more than you're looking at. I'd fish what you got until you come up with a few more bucks and get the RIO.

I used Cortland 444SL since the late 80's and made the change last year. The Rio Gold is a super line.

I've been using Scientific Anglers GPX on most of my rods, except my 3wt bamboo which is Cortland 333 Sylk. I'm entirely satisfied with the Cortland line, and its much cheaper than the SA GPX. This will probably by the way I go into the future, unless I find clearance lines (my last 3 SAs were bought for $25ea, not $70).

I do know when faced with buying line in the future for rods I don't intend to cast long distances with, I'm going to buy DT lines and not WF. Opinions will differ, but for the sort of distances you can do teh bulk of your small stream trouting on, DT will be just as good and you can flip it after a year or two and get another year out of it on a fresh, unused end.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Rio and SA are only 10-15 more than you're looking at. I'd fish what you got until you come up with a few more bucks and get the RIO.

I used Cortland 444SL since the late 80's and made the change last year. The Rio Gold is a super line.

How much of a difference was it? What was better?

gfen wrote:
I've been using Scientific Anglers GPX on most of my rods, except my 3wt bamboo which is Cortland 333 Sylk. I'm entirely satisfied with the Cortland line, and its much cheaper than the SA GPX. This will probably by the way I go into the future, unless I find clearance lines (my last 3 SAs were bought for $25ea, not $70).

I do know when faced with buying line in the future for rods I don't intend to cast long distances with, I'm going to buy DT lines and not WF. Opinions will differ, but for the sort of distances you can do teh bulk of your small stream trouting on, DT will be just as good and you can flip it after a year or two and get another year out of it on a fresh, unused end.

Yeah, I am going to keep an eye out for clearance lines. But I am going with WF because this is going on the new rod I am goign to buy too. I am gunna keep my short 4wt for the smaller streams and maybe get some DT for that. Then WF for the 9-10' 4wt I am going to buy here soon.

NativeBrookie11,
I just got an orvis coupon in the mail for $25 off $50 or more. That would bring their wonderline down to $40 or so. I used all generations of it and like it. Your welcome to have the coupon...we could meet streamside or I could mail it to you.

I did a taste test. Bought Rio Gold for my 4wt, Sharkskin for the 5 wt. Sharkskin beats the rio gold hands down, but is out of the price range that you want to spend. From my experience with Rio Gold I would not pay the premium for it. With Sharkskin I can tell the difference in flotation, shooting and mending. With Rio Gold I can not. Plus my guess is that Rio Gold has a mono core, that is because it always comes off coiled.

JG

Thanks. I took the plunge and ordered Airflo Ridge Tactical Trout Hi Float Fly Line tonight. I read some reviews and guys are comparing it to sharkskin. And for 40 bucks, you cant beat it. Hope I dont regret it

Did way too much research after ordering this line just to make myself feel better before I go to bed...lol

GreenWeenie wrote:
I use Airflow WF on my 4 and 5 weight rods. It is excellent line. It shoots well and roll casts well. You won't go wrong with this line.

tennjed wrote:
I've had the line (3wt) for about 2 years. I definitely think that the line floats higher and is easier to pick up. I also feel it doesn't pick up as much dirt as a conventional line. Do I think it casts better? To me there isn't that much difference. However, I clean my lines after every trip (Agent X). Hope that helps.

tennjed wrote:
Much quieter, cheaper, and will not cut your fingers.

albatross wrote:
I have an Airflo Ridge line on my 5wt and I absolutely love it. My wife ordered me a ridge line for my 4 wt for Valentines day and I'm anxiously awaiting delivery. It shoots like a dream.

I have a problem...but now I can sleep.

I just got Airflo Ridge Line Tactical WF5F and love it so far. I am new to fly fishing so I haven't used much other than the junk that came on my reel when I bought it, but I was able to cast a lot smoother, further, and shoot line with it. It cost me about $50 at my local fly shop.

I just got mine in the mail today and fished on my Lunch Break. I LOVE this stuff. It feeds out like a dream! And the peach is a great looking color. I caught 7 trout in like an hour :D

Great day. Not bad for 40 bucks shipped

Back