Fly line recommendations.

Jessed

Jessed

Looking to get a 4wt fly line for a sage r8 core 10’ 4wt. I’ve always used Rio elite gold but lately I have been disappointed in the quality of the line. Seems like lately Rio lines don’t last as long. Intrigued by the SA amplitude smooth vs textured lines.

I fish a textured line from Airflo on my 10' 4 wt. I think you would like the SA textured line. Newer textured lines aren't as noisy as the original sharkskin...

Looking to get a 4wt fly line for a sage r8 core 10’ 4wt. I’ve always used Rio elite gold but lately I have been disappointed in the quality of the line. Seems like lately Rio lines don’t last as long. Intrigued by the SA amplitude smooth vs textured lines.
What was the issue with the Rio and how long did it last? I see this posted or mentioned often in other forums about Rio's quality, but I have run Rio lines for years without issue.

I've had issues with the durability or flotation with Rio in the past. It was enough for me to try SA and Airflo. Been happy for the most part. Both seem to cast great, float high and durability is good.

I've really enjoyed Rio smallmouth elite. Thought it was a good casting line. SA textured trout was always a favorite for dries. I think a majority of the Airflo lines I've used have been smooth but I did pick up a ridge line to try in the spring. Ridges running lengthwise so benefits of texture without the noise of texture.

Most important is to match the taper to the purpose intended. Fishing streamer line with tricos wouldn't be much fun. Picking your line, consider the rod taper, the distance you fish at and your stroke. Fast taper, non-aggressive stroke and short distances will lean towards one taper while an advanced caster fishing at distance might lean towards a completely different taper.

Airflo tactical is a delta type of design which means line is always being turned over by the thicker line behind it. Not great with 10' out of the tip top but it handles every method with a little more line in play. Their universal taper is slightly more weighted and a little more traditional in taper. Nice all around line. The power taper might be better suited for in close, faster taper rods or less advanced casters. You can draw parallels to this across brands.

Last edited:
What was the issue with the Rio and how long did it last? I see this posted or mentioned often in other forums about Rio's quality, but I have run Rio lines for years without issue.
Thank for the replies ! Oh wow I did not know otherson here had similar issues. I started fly fishing around the age 13 about 10 years ago and have only ever really used Rio gold and Cortland fly lines so I can’t speak for a lot of other lines. I absolutely love Rio gold but it seems like since 2019 the quality of the coating has been really bad. I store my gear and clean my lines occasionally but around a month of fishing the coating seems to crack and chip away. Once you get a crack where it starts to catch in your guides the line is pretty much shot. I’ve heard SA has been more durable and use a different material to coat the lines so I’m looking to try SA.

And I’ll also note I use to get a year of fishing with the Rio gold before it started to get beat up, but even then you could absolutely still fish it.

Back