Fly Line Glue?

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

What kind of glue do you guys use to keep water from entering your fly line? If so, how much is it where can I get it, or is it something simple such as tough as nails? Thank you to everyone who helps me out! :idea:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/item/of-900002-0000/loon-outdoors-uv-knot-sense/1.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3
I use aqua seal. Always have it around for patching wader leaks anyway

I just use Super Glue.

I use softex on the double nail knot that joins the fly line to the 30lb mono butt section.

It's flexible and doesn't crack like acrylic glues.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but aside from using glue on an Amnesia knot to ease in guide interference, I can't think of why someone would glue fly line.

If a floating line end is cut back, you may want to seal the end to keep it from becoming waterlogged and sinking.

Code:
If a floating line end is cut back, you may want to seal the end to keep it from becoming waterlogged and sinking.

+1. I just put a drop of super glue or whatever else I have handy for tying flies. I dab it off immediately so the only thing remaining is what wicked the small distance between the end of the tag to the knot which is probably pinching it some anyway.

I've never had to cut fly line.

You probably either use a loop to loop for the leader connection, or have a mono perfection loop attached to your fly line with a nail knot then. You have to have a way to change your leader.

So really any glue, that u have just only a very little amount

2nd the Loon UV knot sense.

KeithS wrote:
You probably either use a loop to loop for the leader connection, or have a mono perfection loop attached to your fly line with a nail knot then. You have to have a way to change your leader.

You got it. I have both setups.

for any fly line that does not have a welded loop you should use either goop thinned or softex to seal the end to keep water out of the Dacron center. been preachin this for years...the fly line manufacturers won't tell ya this because they want to sell lines.. These are the only 2 glues that weld with the pvc coatings and make a complete seal. I don't trust superglues as I have seen these break down in water after a time.. Aqua seal is ok just as not as flexible, same for knot sense they harden more and will not flex as well in conditions.

Good thread, good info. here.

If/when I cut the end of my fly line to knot on a leader I use pliobond to smooth the knot and seal the end all in one shot.

Back