Fly Line for Dries

troutpoop

troutpoop

Does anyone have a line they prefer for throwing dries or do most just use the same lines for dries & nymphing?
I use my 8ft 4wt for throwing dries most of the time. Last night while trying to clean my line it got caught on something while I was stripping it through a cloth. My line got a bad tear in the outer coating. The line was a Rio LT. I liked the line ok but the outer covering is really butter soft. I can cut it with my fingernail. Just seeing if anyone has a line they prefer for dries.

Hi poopster!

My line of choice for throwing dries is the Scientific Angler's Trout taper. It has a long front taper that makes a nice gentle presentation, and the willow color is really stealthy.

That said, my favorite all purpose line (Hook & Hackle Hi Floater) does a good job as well. H&H puts them on sale often for $25 - can't beat that! It's a true to weight line made by Cortland. Highly recommended - I've got about a dozen of them, and they're all in fine shape. No built in loops, so you have to either whip one, or nail knot a connector to the tip. It's a great cold weather line as well, but the coating doesn't get "soft" in hot weather, like some of my Cortland 444 Classics do.

HA Thanks for the reply. I hope we get to fish together again this year.
I will take a look at the H&H line as well as the SA line. I usually cut off the loop if there is one. I prefer a nail knot connection.

Have you ever thrown the triangle taper line? From exploring the internet I think its a good roll caster with a long taper to the head but not sure how it does on conventional casting with dries. I have another spool for the reel with a nice WF4 on itI will use for general purpose. This will be a dry fly line almost exclusively.

The Rio stuff seems to cast well but I have damaged many of them. Maybe its just me but they seem a bit delicate.

I really like Rio Trout LT on my 4 wt. It also has a long front taper.

Cortland "Clear Creek" is my favorite line for dries and delicate presentation. It has a long 4' tip.

Anyone fish Airflo?

Terenzio silk, DT.

Terenzio?? Never heard of it. See what can be learned by asking. Thanks!

I've used the hook and hackle lines for years now also, they hold up well and the sale prices are good.

enjoy the $200+ price tag that comes with that terenzio, to say nothing of the work you put into using it for a day and for a lifetime.

the H&H lines are cortland 444 peach, which i do believe are also branded as cabela's prestige (not prestige+). these should be on clearance sale as cabela's is dumping cortland in face of their new sale to a new holding corp.

gfen wrote:
enjoy the $200+ price tag that comes with that terenzio, to say nothing of the work you put into using it for a day and for a lifetime.

key word there being 'lifetime.' Spend the money up front, take proper care of it and yeah, you can certainly expect that $200 dollar line to literally last a lifetime. Or you can scour the sale bins year in year out and spend that $200 in $30 increments for an inferior plastic line over and over and over again...

as a fan of fine old nonsense, even i know when enough's enough. a daily lifetime measured in hours without a drying in the middle; constant dressing and redressing in use; removing, hanging, drying at end of use each day?

i dunno how much you think 15 minutes of your free time is worth, but i assure you $50 bi-annually is much, much less.

gfen wrote:

as a fan of fine old nonsense, even i know when enough's enough.

Almost. :cool:

As far as the H&H line being the Classic "peach" line - don't think so. The peach 444 has a very smooth finish (it's actually shiny). The H&H line has somewhat of a textured finish, like most other modern fly lines.

It's also a rocket taper. In questioning Ron from H&H and a Cortland rep, I think it's actually a rebranded 444SL. Regardless, it's durable like the peach 444, stays supple in cold weather like the peach 444, but shoots better than the peach 444.

Great line, regardless of the cost.

as a fan of fine old nonsense, even i know when enough's enough. a daily lifetime measured in hours without a drying in the middle; constant dressing and redressing in use; removing, hanging, drying at end of use each day?

i dunno how much you think 15 minutes of your free time is worth, but i assure you $50 bi-annually is much, much less.

Depends upon your approach then I guess, I don't assign dollar amounts to my minutes of the day. My free time is mine to do with as I please, I don't charge for it, nor do I wonder if it couldn't be better spent doing something more 'profitable.' I enjoy the five minute ritual of prepping my gear before heading out to the water, or hanging it to dry afterwards. To me it's no different than hanging your waders and setting your boots out to dry when you're home from the stream. It's all a part of the same relaxing game to me.

So, go ahead and spend your $200 over eight years for a cheap imitation, and then in another eight years hence I'll still be fishing my same silk line and you'll have spent another two bills....but I guess you'll have 'won' or something because I had to take a few equally enjoyable minutes here and there along the way.

you hang your waders? if i had your spare time, i'd waste mine too.

If fishing forums didn't exist I'd have tons of free time.

gfen wrote:

you hang your waders? if i had your spare time, i'd waste mine too.

yeah, it's that or leave them crumpled on the floor at the door since it seams like I walk to the stream probably 75% of the time...

I like the Rio Trout LT but I cut the tip back a few inches.
I used to love Rio's selective trout but can't get it anymore. I hate it when MFG's mess with a good thing.
Cortland 444 is OK but doesn't shoot out line like Rio.

Has anyone tried the new SA trout stalker textured line? Supposed to be a great dry fly line. Had a chance to handle it, but have not cast it yet.

Back