Fly line cleaner/dressing

Raven456

Raven456

I'm in the market for a new fly line cleaner and dressing after dropping and losing mind from my chest pack and was wondering what everyone's favorite products are?

Link to a recent thread about this subject, which includes a link to the slightly less recent thread that came right before it.

But once again, zipcast!

Enjoy.

Thanks, I'm guilty of laziness.

I needed to buy some more fly line cleaner last fall. And couldn't find what I had been using for quite awhile - cortland XL - in any of the local shops.
However, the one place had Lee Wulff fly line dressing. So, I bought it and gave it a try.
Works pretty nice IMO. And one treatment seems to last quite a while

I have a couple of tins of the old Cortland fly cleaner. I like to carry one in my vest for a quick clean up when I'm on the water.

I found some of that Cortland XL at ****'s. Works really nice. Leaving it on overnight and buffing the next day really seems to slick up the line. Worked great on my older Wulff TT.

Does any of this stuff help your line float better?

The tip of my SA floating line was sinking and I got an SA line cleaner/dressing kit - used it and the line felt slick and cast well but did not float any better.

kbobb wrote:

The tip of my SA floating line was sinking and I got an SA line cleaner/dressing kit - used it and the line felt slick and cast well but did not float any better.

I don't think so, although just removing any dirt from the end will help
I put mucilin paste on the last foot or so of my line tip to keep it floating

kbobb wrote:

Bob,

Zipcast seems to help float my lines, but if the tip is sinking, I'd look to see if water is wicking up the core through cracks, or an unsealed tip. The slickness of Zipcast, and it's ability to help float the line better, wears off after a long day of fishing. No big deal, as it only takes a minute or two to clean the line again. I usually do this before I put the reel away at home - just strip the line through a gun cleaning patch with 2 or 3 drops on it, and reel it back on through the other side of the patch.

Next time I see you, I'd be happy to clean your line. A line cleaner only works if you take the time to use it. Nothing I've found is quicker, easier, or cleans better. Zipcast is really some amazing stuff!

Back