Fly Line Backing?

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

Anyone have a good place to get some Fly Line backing? I'm just want some decent backing, and am not looking to spend a lot of money on it. Thanks!

I use the cheap cortland stuff, like $6 for 200 yards.

However, because I've never seen my backing while fishing, I think the stuff at walmart would be sufficient, at least for me and my needs.

Thats how I feel, I've never seen it either and I just need it mostly for padding on my trout reel. If wal-mart has it for cheap, I'll just get it there.

I have seen my backing, and I still use the walmart stuff.

I agree Jay and Matt.........if you looking to save money on FF stuff, that would be the place. I have even used any old heavy mono from a spool of spinning line. I would lose sleep over it at all on any of my trout rods that I fish in PA, with the possible exception of fishing the D.

Ive seen the backing on my steelhead rod, but for my 9' 5wt' - I know it will never be an issue. Thanks guys - I would have never looked at wal mart.

yeah, unless you are steelhead or salmon fishing i dont think backing is very crucial.. ive never seen it any place except for my reel while trout fishing.. As mentioned above walmart has cheap stuff, cortland is cheap, cabelas, orvis has some cheap dacron.. etc.

njk3395 wrote:
yeah, unless you are steelhead or salmon fishing i dont think backing is very crucial.. ive never seen it any place except for my reel while trout fishing.. As mentioned above walmart has cheap stuff, cortland is cheap, cabelas, orvis has some cheap dacron.. etc.

Backing fills your reel and allows you to reel more line in fast is would a larger arbor reel. Its not just for long runs. No one ever needs backing until they do. Its kind of like insurance.

Just be sure to get something that won't rot or mildew. Since it could be a long time before you see your backing it could fail the time you need it.

25 years of fly fishing and never had my backing rot. I try not to put anything away wet though.

Ernie- I will take you fishing sometime and re-introduce you to your backing.... You will do it on 6x, so the backing is not that important. It just has to get through the guides smoothly (twice).

JG

jerseygeorge wrote:
Ernie- I will take you fishing sometime and re-introduce you to your backing.... You will do it on 6x, so the backing is not that important. It just has to get through the guides smoothly (twice).

JG

Haha - I'll take you up on that.

Back