Fly ID

Beweav

Beweav

I inherited a bunch of fly fishing things, when I bought my first house. There were a bunch of flies. Mostly soft hackles and stonefly imitations. A lot of them look hand tied. Anyways, these things were mixed in and I can’t figure out what they would be imitating or what they are made of. I thought someone here might know.
IMG 7557

I remember back in the 70's there was article in one of the national outdoor mags, or maybe it was possibly in the PA Angler. Anyway, it was about making flies with a painted cork body. I also remember that I bought small cork cylinders from Hille's and made some for myself. In addition I also bought a few of the finished flies at the Western PA outdoor show that was held at the Civic Arena every year.

So to answer your question. They are flies constructed from cork cylinders made to imitate things like inchworms, bees, and such.

I remember back in the 70's there was article in one of the national outdoor mags, or maybe it was possibly in the PA Angler. Anyway, it was about making flies with a painted cork body. I also remember that I bought small cork cylinders from Hille's and made some for myself. In addition I also bought a few of the finished flies at the Western PA outdoor show that was held at the Civic Arena every year.

So to answer your question. They are flies constructed from cork cylinders made to imitate things like inchworms, bees, and such.
I have vague memories of these flies. Were they called "Corkers" or something like that? Some guy used to tie them and sell them to fly shops, as I recall.

The concept is similar to McMurray Ants, which are made from balsa wood.

They are "plop patterns." Flies that make a splash when the hit the water and trigger strikes. The trout may be taking them as beetle imitations.

I got a little curious, and found this.

I bet these would hammer some sunfish/panfish..I think you should fish em..

Not that it really matters to the topic at hand, but for the sake of accuracy, when I mentioned "back in the 70's", it was more likely back in the late 60's.

Back