Fly gear from Japan

P

PaulK

Hello,

What the heck are the Ebay auctions for fly gear that is outrageously priced and coming out of Japan? Are they phoney? How did all these Orvis rods and reels end up in Japan? Don't bite! What has happened to common decency! How does crookedness cross over into flyfishing??!!---Paul, Adirondacks NY, originally a Bowmans Creek NEPA Angler.

Can you post a link of what you think is questionable? A quick search of ebay shows some vintage Orvis gear being sold out of Japan and a handful of newer rods at inflated prices.

My guess is that they are legit and that is the going price in Japan. The auctions I saw offered world wide shipping. So I would guess they are targeting the Japanese market but are willing to ship anywhere if the customer is willing to pay their price. FWIW, fly fishing has a following in Japan, and the Japanese are known to be willing to pay for what they perceive to be a quality or prestige product.

At any rate, it isn't much of a scam if your prices discourage people from buying. Scams usually have prices that are at least competitive if not downright cheap.

I've been seeing an older gold Orvis Mirage or Hydros reel being posted on ebay that is a beautiful reel BUT...I keep looking for a spare spool for both a Hydros and Mirage in gold but can't seem to locate one anywhere for the size of reels I have.

I find classic Sage rods and Tibor reels being advertised from Japan in my searches of Ebay. It's been within the last 6 months to a year I've noticed it pick up in frequency. I'm not buying from them, it seems like a scam to me.

America, fly fishing is a sport. Japan, an art. Japan collectors have acquired mass collections of quality items from the U. S.

Elegant Walton Powell rods fetch $1000.00 plus. Quality gear at a quality price.

I have sold into the Japan market. Goodwin Grainger swallowed by U. S. for rework at a much higher mark.

I consider myself lucky selling leaders to Japan fly fishermen. It is a well known fact Japan produces some of the finest mono, fluoro the world has ever seen. Some companies have left the Japan market for the Korean market. Not the same. Example: Sunline Co.- Siglon line. Premium.

Now let us look at an example-----10.00 item ebay--13% fees and $14.00 mailing to Japan. Forget it. $1000.00 dollar rod 13%fee, 60 plus mailing fee. Insurance most likely another $20.00 plus. Month or more travel time. = more.

Holding time at collector. Collector would like a modest 20 percent.

Resell back to U. S. Then it comes back around again the 13%, the mailing fee, the Insurance. Who knows, way the Post office operates now, you might get it, you may not! Not fast that is for sure.

System is broken, derailed, misfit, lacked and in other words-----A whirlpool of ****, deeper than any person can wade.

There is always more to fishing, than fishing. Breaking fellowship between fishermen. Break the chain, I am lucky to have a tow chain secured by 40 anchor ropes and a Battleship loaded for war.

Australia, Japan and Sweden helped me achieve my goals. Thank you fellow Bros. I love you. Your friend. Brother to Others.

Sit back, take it. Hold your tongue, Or, stand up and speak the tongue of man. Beat and come back again for the same. Sonner or later, you will tire of the beat and want some of the sweet!

Sweet Paradise!

Maxima12

Back