Fly Fishing Wisconsin

A

AFISHN

I will be visiting family in Northern Wisconsin the last 2 weeks in August.Looking for some recommendations on what rivers/streams I should be researching for trout fishing at that time of the year.

One river that looks promising is the Brule..any suggestions as to areas to fish there and /or guides would be appreciated.Also any other suggestions.
Thank you
Tom

I’ll be in southern WI next month for the 3rd time to fish the Driftless. Whenever you buy a non-resident license you’ll bet a book with a map of each county, stream locations, their regulations, and other useful information. I have yet to fish a stream in WI I didn’t like. Most locals are pretty tight lipped about it, even the shops. (And for good reason). But, there are literally dozens of streams in the northern section to choose from, with Brook trout fishing that would put PAs best to shame.

Which Brule? "Border" or Bois? If the former, the better fishing is actually in the UP of Michigan within an hour's drive. If the latter, that opens up other possibilities. Once I know, I can probably help some and will do so via PM.

Thanks for the reply
I noticed that tight lips attitude.I have placed numerous calls to a WI state regional biologist,sent a long email....left voice mails for 2 weeks without a reply.So it looks like "it starts at the top"
I'm interested in the WI Brois Brule River...I have been focusing on the Pine and Rush River tribs since I will be wading and looking for smaller waters. BUT again,I'm open to any suggestions and recommendation

In August the larger streams are likely to be warm. Exploring the smaller streams and tribs is probably a good strategy.

Also, most trout states have guidebooks available.

I don't recall the name of the YT video, or the exact location, but I watched a young guy fly fishing in Wisconsin and he was catching some seriously nice native brookies. It wasn't just one or two either, he caught numerous good sized brook trout. I was amazed!

>>I'm interested in the WI Brois Brule River...>>

Good... That area in northwest WI is almost certainly a better bet in late August than the area around the "border Brule" in NE Wisconsin mainly because in general, the streams are somewhat less surface water dependent and fed by strong springs in the NW than they are in the NE.

Let me take a couple days to go through my notes and I'll send you some info from my experiences up there via PM. I've not fished it extensively, but probably enough to help.

A couple days..

A couple of folks have mentioned the WI trout stream guide as an aid to finding water to fish. It's online here: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/trout/streammaps.html

Pick your counties and away you go...

Remember as well that WI is a "wet feet" state and all stream bottoms are public property so long as you can find an access point, even if it is just a bridge crossing. This only works because generally, people do not abuse this privilege. But what it means is that with a little discretion, there really isn't any stream you cannot legally fish.

OK thread parent, I sent you a PM re: NW Wisconsin. Not a whole lot of info, but it may be worthwhile..

You may not be getting a response because you are possibly asking questions at the “wrong time” of the year. Spring is peak field season for most fisheries biologists. They work long hours and are out nearly every day. When they are back in the office there is usually only enough time (not really... without overtime) to take care of in-house responsibilities.

“Remember as well that WI is a "wet feet" state and all stream bottoms are public property so long as you can find an access point”

As big of a trout state that PA is, it’s a shame we have never adopted that policy.

Somewhat off topic, but I doubt that a "wet feet" access law would work in PA. Beyond the strong property rights tradition here, I think there is too much angler mobility from the large PA urban areas as well as too much commoditization/commercialization of angling in PA these days for something like this to work here.

I think it only works in Wisconsin because of the progressive/egalitarian ("progressive" as in Theodore Roosevelt and Bob LaFollette) thinking that held sway in much of the upper Midwest when these sorts of laws were conceived more than a century ago and of course, because up until the recent explosion of interest in fishing the Driftless, a wet feet law was a lot easier for property owners to abide when probably 90% of the people who might fish on your land were people you went to school with.

This is why, as SW WI trout fishing becomes more popular and commoditized, it will be interesting to see if the wet feet access laws survive. I hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did not.

Fair point. But imo, a state famous for its fly fishing should have better access laws. If you look at the Class A list, some counties have 0% amount of public access to that counties Class A streams. 0%.. And it’s been getting progressively worse every year while the DCNR, PFC focus on Erie, we are losing a lot of inland wild trout waters. Just recently, two big ones we lost partial access to are Falling Springs and Yellow (Bedford). Oh well!

I once wrote a feature in Fly Rod & Reel on the Bois Brule, about a foray with a guide in a canoe. The big browns can be had...fishing at night with mouse patterns. There is a lot of cover for the trout in that river. In August, night fishing is the ticket. Fishing from a canoe or kayak is best, as stream access on foot is possible, though difficult.

I have a nice base of Wisconsin fly fishermen. Never was there, no need to ask. Same for surrounding states.

Contacts------the best you can have. Freelancer, i am, but able to offer a good and a surprise. The good is famous and the surprise is much appreciated.

I always sign the note, your friend. John Fave.

Fishing industry, silent, demanding, insolvent, obscured, silent, negative, bewildering. Silent for a long, long, time! Orvis gives but is always on the take! New fly fisher has some but is structured for loot!

The regular contact, the key to flyfishing. Have numerous, and more! Phone call away!

I had a guide once in Quebec for 1 day, then i guided the guide!

The data base is quite simple, your money! i always turned that aroud to, i will send some, no money, but a contact. a call if i must, a place to anchor and a gift. Gas light mantles were a perfect gift to out of the way camps. no electric,

What you want, you must earn. Earn it and keep it. Contacts-------Yep, I was lucky! Since old now and many gone, just a memory! Free camp, boat and motor! Did that all my life!

Not uncommon to hand, to the hand, a box of fishing trinkets. A good will gesture that got me a dinner with family and a start!

Contacts-- Maxima12 way, But then again, you ain't me! Most important, I stay me, and keep a distance of the odd fellows!

The guys that take, tell all, smile, and **** down my boots!

Maxima12

Between the Pms and the posts here,I think I have a good start to mapping out this August WI trip.Thank you all for your help
TL
Tom

Back