Fly fishing trip suggestions

B

bdhoover77

Later this summer my wife is taking a girls trip to the Caribbean with her friends. Ordinarily I do a summer golf trip but that doesn’t look like it will happen this summer. With her trip to the Caribbean, she suggested in return that I can do a fishing trip, so I’m thinking about spending a couple days in either PA or NY (somewhere within easy driving distance from home in Maryland). Any suggestions on where to consider?

Late summer? If you are talking August the pickings for trout may be a little slim other than some blue line brookies and possibly some south central PA limestoners. Warm water species especially SMBs would be a good bet as well as carp, pan fish. pickerel, and LMB.

If you are talking a bit later say mid September, NY salmon will just be starting. That is a bit of a drive but well worth the experience.

I don’t have a specific date in mind at this point. It could be sometime in June or I could wait until September or October.

I would be happy going up to Spring Creek for a couple days too.

Last edited:
Later this summer my wife is taking a girls trip to the Caribbean with her friends. Ordinarily I do a summer golf trip but that doesn’t look like it will happen this summer. With her trip to the Caribbean, she suggested in return that I can do a fishing trip, so I’m thinking about spending a couple days in either PA or NY (somewhere within easy driving distance from home in Maryland). Any suggestions on where to consider?
Why not SW VA /East TN? Grayson Highlands State Park, S. Fk Holston River (Marion, VA), Holston and Watauga River Tailwaters. Options are endless. Too far...? How about Mossy and Beaver Creeks in Augusta County, VA for serious limestoner terrestrial fishing. Throw in some small mouth Bass on the S. FK. Shenandoah River. You could probably get to Harrisonburg and/or Staunton, VA in three hours.

The Upper Delaware River is within easy driving range and would be a good FFing trip for trout in the summer. A lot of places to stay and you can fish on your own and/or hire a guide to drift the River. If you've never fished it before you really should give it a go.

May is the best month of the year, period.

June, you can still have it all. Big water, evening hatch stuff is still happening, especially if you focus on northern, mountainous areas. Say, NC PA (like Pine Creek valley), or the Adirondaks are peaking. Penns will still be good. These big waters will give you the good hour at dark through June. Early June of course drakes everywhere you go. But in later June you have summer BWO spinner falls at dusk (Drunella, not Baetis variety), cahills, some sulphers left, caddis flying about, stoneflies, blue quills, and slate drakes getting going. Those waters will certainly be evening focused though and kind of die off in the heat of the day if the sun is out. Earlier day can be spent on smaller water, this is at it's peak. Dry fly fishing the mountain streams for wild brookies and browns, June is prime time, all day long. Smallmouth bass is getting going.

By July the big water evening hatch thing is certainly fading. The smaller brookie water is still good as long as flows are decent, and the smallmouth scene is peaking. By mid-month you can catch morning trico hatches on the limestoners, like Spring Creek.

August isn't the greatest fishing month, for sure. Morning trico fishing on limestoners and chasing smallies on the rivers during the rest of the day. If you get a solid rain, the small brookie streams will turn on.

The Upper Delaware River is within easy driving range and would be a good FFing trip for trout in the summer. A lot of places to stay and you can fish on your own and/or hire a guide to drift the River. If you've never fished it before you really should give it a go.

This^. The UDR system and surrounding Catskill streams would be a great trip that isn't too far from Maryland.

I went about 2 weeks ago, and previously in September 2020.

If you opt to use a guide, Delaware River Club and Cross Current are great.

Look up Harmans in West Virgina great place not far from you and plenty of trout.

Would a trip up to the UDR be better during the summer or the fall?

Summer or early fall is good on the West Branch and maybe upper mainstem if the summer is cooler and the flow is decent. Sulphurs hatch in the WB all summer, plus there will be Olives, Iso's, and Tricos and different types of caddis hatching all summer plus Hebe's in the early fall. But go too late in the fall, like mid-Septemberish, the reservoir turns over and the water has color.

There's really not many places close to fish for big-river trout close to home. The fishing can be tough, but also can be rewarding. Sumthin' different than small stream trout fishing.

I agree with the recommendation above for Cross Current Guide Service. Cross Current (Joe D) now owns a fly shop on the River. He will steer you right on a guided trip or even help you fish on your own. Good luck.

Last edited:
May is the best month of the year, period.

June, you can still have it all. Big water, evening hatch stuff is still happening, especially if you focus on northern, mountainous areas. Say, NC PA (like Pine Creek valley), or the Adirondaks are peaking. Penns will still be good. These big waters will give you the good hour at dark through June. Early June of course drakes everywhere you go. But in later June you have summer BWO spinner falls at dusk (Drunella, not Baetis variety), cahills, some sulphers left, caddis flying about, stoneflies, blue quills, and slate drakes getting going. Those waters will certainly be evening focused though and kind of die off in the heat of the day if the sun is out. Earlier day can be spent on smaller water, this is at it's peak. Dry fly fishing the mountain streams for wild brookies and browns, June is prime time, all day long. Smallmouth bass is getting going.

By July the big water evening hatch thing is certainly fading. The smaller brookie water is still good as long as flows are decent, and the smallmouth scene is peaking. By mid-month you can catch morning trico hatches on the limestoners, like Spring Creek.

August isn't the greatest fishing month, for sure. Morning trico fishing on limestoners and chasing smallies on the rivers during the rest of the day. If you get a solid rain, the small brookie streams will turn on.
Pretty much nailed it! I flounder fish in August on the NJ party boats. Fly fishing is limited to smallies and as mentioned if we have water the brookies are worthwhile

Anytime from early April through early November can be good. As Afish noted, lake flips late Sept or early Oct. Can make the river a milky grey or reddish brown. Depends on how low it is before it flips as to which color you get. I'd take milky over muddy. While it sucks to look at, you will find fish eating pseudos in water with an inch of visibility which is baffling. When you get the summer sulphur hatch, the difficulty ratchets up every couple of days. The fish become more and more pressured while the flies shrink in size. You can stand in one spot and cast to 10 different rising fish for 5 hours straight. It will expose any casting flaws, mending / line control and how good you are reading the stage of insect that the fish is taking. Between the history, size of fish, diverse insect population and intimidating water size, it takes fly fishing to a different level. To me it's the Augusta national for fly fishing. I've taken a lot of people up there over the years and few
have met with success in their first or second outting. Just got back from two days up there. The first day was premier conditions with no wind, clear water, overcast and drizzle. march browns, blue quills and caddis all over the water. I saw about four rises in 6 hours. The last 2 hours of daylight were straight mayhem with gray foxes pouring off by the millions and the fish were eating them. The second day I fished in sunny conditions in the middle of the day not expecting to catch much. After landing 11, I decided to roll out go home. Between the fish I landed, the fish I broke off, the fish that threw my hook and the ones that I just missed the hook set, I could have had over 20 which is a banner day. A good day on spring Creek could be 20 to 50 fish, a good day on the Delaware might be one or two fish so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
To me it's the Augusta national for fly fishing. I've taken a lot of people up there over the years and few
have met with success in their first or second outting.

Agree 100%!

It’s very wadable with lots of access (I can send you some map pics from a book). Some great places to stay, my favorite being Dreamcatcher. The fish are very challenging to catch but it is so rewarding to catch one after working through 10 flies.

I’d take a double bogey at Augusta over a par on my local course.

Back