Fly Fishing through Midlife Crisis

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Found this book, by Howell Raines, at a local farmers market.

It must have been sitting for years because I've picked it off the same shelf a half dozen times in the past year before finally paying $5 and taking it home.

So far, not bad. Writings about the Letort, Bob Clouser, the Susky, Breeches, Vince, Charley New Cumberland and other mentions of Pennsylvania.

I've only read a bit,

Chapter 30;

Living Legends IV: The Genius of Three Mile Island

The author discusses Bob Clouser and his Clouser's Deep Minnow. Discusses fishing with Bob and describes how Bob says the fly came about. I could also relate to specific areas of the Susquehanna that are described and a mental image of the river comes to mind. Pretty cool. He describes the abandoned Bethlehem Steel mill and I could clearly picture the area being familiar with it.

Being a voracious reader of fishing books, I can honestly say that there are only two trout fishing related books which I could not read through the first chapter. This is one of them. The other was called: "The River Why," by someone I cannot recall. I put them down for different reasons however. "The River Why" taught me that I don't much care for trout fishing fiction, unless it is a tale spun by Traver or Geirach, though these two claim to be non-fiction writers. By the time I was mostly through Chapter One of "Midlife Crisis" I realized that I did not care much for the writer. His writing style reflected his persona I fear; too much adolescent-level self-indulgence.

I never finished reading the book. In fact, I skimmed through looking for chapters that I might actually enjoy.

I agree with you, I felt like the author was self inflated and just had a snobbish rub you the wrong way personality. I could not relate to the author. I remember thinking, if I write a book about fishing it will be the polar opposite of this book.

Perhaps because I have and am continuing to fish thru my midlife crises, I liked this book. Raines does not set himself up as an expert, as I recall, but rather describes his progression as an angler into his delving into fly-fishing. I also thought the book was written pretty well.
I also liked "The River Why," though I thought the movie version of it was disappointing.
Anyhow, I think you ought to give "Fly Fishing Through the Mildlife Crisis" a chance. I think you will enjoy much of it.

I never had what I'd call a mid-life crisis, it seems my whole life is a crisis, :) so I never picked it up. Still not motivated to pick it up. Glad you like it though.

I remember liking that book but looking back when I read it I was in the middle of my own mid-life crisis so I could relate.

Tups wrote:I realized that I did not care much for the writer. His writing style reflected his persona I fear; too much adolescent-level self-indulgence.

That's funny. I thought exactly the same thing. I managed to get through the book, bur in the end I was only glad I bought it used for $0.50. I agree with Jake that there was some interesting stuff in there, but it didn't make up for the whining.
There is another author named W.D. Wetherell that writes similar stuff, but for some reason I find him more interesting and tolerable. If you get a chance to pick up his "Yellowstone Autumn" it is a good read. Fishing through Yellowstone on your 50th birthday seems like a reasonable thing to do.
Mike.

Back