Fly Fishing Tapers

P

PennypackFlyer

The other weekend when I was up at the Salmon river I purchased a salmon leader with a tapered end and tried it out. After a couple of casts I realized that my bait was not getting into the strike zone as fast as the homemade leader taper combo. Last weekend I attached 5' of Vanish Gold 10lb. to the leader and did not get any strikes or pickups the whole day. I did not snag bottom at anytime even when I weighted the presentation. Was it just not my day to hook any fish? The weather was cold and cloudy for the most part. "What's in your thoughts?"

When subsurface fishing, drag decreases depth.

The bigger the difference in line diameter from where it enters the water to the business end, the more drag you have. Current pulls on thick diameters more than small ones.

If casting isn't a major issue (i.e. no big distances, no brush), and if I know I'm gonna be subsurface the whole time, I prefer a flat leader, or at least a very quick taper followed by a LOT of "tippet."

Thanks, I believe you hit the (fish) nail on the head with your response. It makes perfect sense now that I look at it.
I will be going back to my homemade leader, taper, tippet formula of 3'/5'/4' which seams to work quite well for me on any weight rod. I may alter the last two parts of the equation slightly. When it comes to the salmon I don't like to use anything smaller than 8lb vanish for the tippet part. I may have to go even small for the trout at Salmon River. I hear they are very wise and have great eye sight.

If you're not snagging the bottom, at least occasionally, then your fly isn't on or near the bottom. If your fly isn't on or near the bottom then you prolly won't catch much. I'm no expert, but from my experience being right on the bottom is even more important with lake run fish than trout. As pcray pointed out it was probably due to the leader setup.

Back