Fly Fishing Show $18?!

P

ponner1us

I just looked at my email and I see that the annual Fly Fishing Show (I usually go to the Somerset location) is $18.00. Does anyone else find this expensive? I am seriously reconsidering going this year, I shouldn't have to spend that much money to purchase items I'm interested in.

I still have my 2 dollar bill from last year...

I swear this conversation happens every year.

not me. the presentations, demonstrations and the conversation are worth imho.

take in a show or a ball game for 3-4 four hours, its going to cost you waaay more than $16 for a ticket.

and what else is there to do if its well below freezing that week ;-)

Edit - looking at the line up i might need TWO days this year - Mike Lawson on the Henry's Fork, Geirach reading, Brian Horsley on Cape Lookout, Sigurdsson on Icelandic Salmon & Sea Trout, Lefty casting, clouser tying, Rick Kustich on steelhead, borger on casting, Gawesworth Spey Casting Rio lines, WBA on fishing the delaware....

thats a salad day my friends, right there :cool:

It costs $15 if you buy in advance.
Active Military with ID: $10
Scouts under 16 in uniform: free

I can't wait to go again this year. I pay so I can get my 2 dollar bill, I don't even actually go in. Just sign up for prizes on their tablets and take my two dollar bill.

NickR wrote:
I swear this conversation happens every year.

Yep. And every year it is ridiculous.

Someone enlighten me on the $2 bill thing. If someone gives me $18, or even $16, I'll be happy to give them not one but five $2 bills.

salmonoid wrote:
Someone enlighten me on the $2 bill thing. If someone gives me $18, or even $16, I'll be happy to give them not one but five $2 bills.
Most people pay admission to the show with a $20 bill and to make it easy they make change with a $2 bill. I spent mine at the show last year. I think I had it for about 5 minutes tops! BTW the show at Somerset is worth every penny IMO.

ponner1us wrote:
I just looked at my email and I see that the annual Fly Fishing Show (I usually go to the Somerset location) is $18.00. Does anyone else find this expensive? I am seriously reconsidering going this year, I shouldn't have to spend that much money to purchase items I'm interested in.

$18 is less than I spend on a night of wings and beer and is is far less than I usually spend on a day of fishing that is anywhere more than a few miles from home.

PennKev wrote:
$18 is less than I spend on a night of wings and beer and is is far less than I usually spend on a day of fishing that is anywhere more than a few miles from home.

Took the words right out of my mouth, and I don't even drink. Plus, gas prices are lower right now, so that'll make up the difference.

Buy something, you'll save AT LEAST $16.00 and it'll even out.

I took the 14 year old son of a friend to Lancaster. He still talks about it. Well worth it.

You're all right, I will be going, I'll get my Alaska fix by watching a movie/presentation until I win the lottery and can afford the trip. I guess I'm just a cheapskate.

Lancaster show. I went once. No need to go again. No "deals" in my opinion and flyfishing celebrities have nothing to do with the sport as I know it. Lousy food. Go fishing instead and spend $18.00 on gas.

I won't be going, but it has nothing to do with the ticket price. I just cannot go on that weekend.

Looks like a reasonable entry fee to me.

I have never gone, but am thinking about going. How does the author's booth work? Is it like a reading and book signing, a general q/a sort of thing, all of the above?

j bomb - they just sit there and chat, sign books, sell books etc.

John Geirach has a separate reading in one of the theatres scheduled each day.

myself, i like to meet the anglers i've read about and read their books - so i can thank them for their contribution to our sport and generally congratulate them on a fine piece of writing.

i've been to maybe 8 or 9 of these shows and found these guys generally to be very humble, appreciative of the positive feedback and happy to chat or give tips/advice.

only once did i meet a complete rude A hole who shall remain nameless, but he did write a book on saltwater fly fishing, and after his lecture he had no interest in answering my questions or giving me advice after i hooked and lost 13 bonefish DIY fishing in the bahamas...

on the positive side, Ed Engle spent 45 minutes chatting with me on micro nymphs and difficult tailwater trout, and i shared a pint and cigarette with Alan Caolo where we traded NE sightfishing spots.

so generally, these guys genuinely love their sport and are pleased to see you - so don't be shy about saying hello.

Back