Fly-fishing near Malvern PA?

Josephah208

Josephah208

I will need to be in the Malvern PA area several times in the coming year. Any recommendations re. trout streams within a couple of hours drive would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Valley is a wild trout stream, as is the lower half of Little Valley. Darby and Chester are stocked trout streams. Darby holds stocked trout through June in many years. Chester should too in at least its upper mile or two. These are all urban/metro streams. For a little nicer environment on a stocked trout stream, but more on the edge of the metro area I would select the West and East Branches of Brandywine Creek toward the upper ends of their stocked trout section limits. To get completely out of the immediate metro area surrounding Philly but with the closest drives head to stocked and wild streams in Berks Co, Lancaster Co, and southern Chester Co. A more mountainous or mountain-like experience will require a drive to the river hills of York and Lancaster Co or a drive north to northern Berks, or Carbon and Schuylkill Counties. In between are the limestone stocked and wild trout streams of Lehigh and Northampton Counties. The NE Extension of the Pa Turnpike is your route to many good waters, including Lehigh Valley limestoners and Carbon County freestoners, plus the stocked plus some wild fish in the Lehigh River.

If your radius is a couple hours drive, the world is pretty much your oyster. Locally, Valley is the biggest name but highly pressured with very educated trout. You've also got the Brandywine, French Creek, and the Tulpehocken...all within 20 to 50 minutes. If you are willing to venture further, you can get into the PA limestone in the Poconos and Lehigh Valley such as Monocacy and the Bushkill. If you have up to 3 hours to drive, you can make it out to Central PA for some of the classics out by State College like Penns, Lemont, and Little J. A great option is to do a half day guided (DM me if you are interested as have two good names).

Back