fly fishing in winter in luzerne county

M

matthew

hello my name is matt I live near Luzerne county I was wondering if any knows of good spots around me in the winter time?

Hi Matt,
Welcome to our online fly fishing (FFing) community. We're glad to have you.

I'm not a regular in your neck of the woods and you should be aware that many of our readers can be tight lipped about places to fish. Winter fishing just adds to the challenge and when things are very cold sometimes it just isn't worth the effort. With that said, you might search our Reports forum using the advanced search function for Luzerne County.

Also, the link on the upper right side of this page "Where to Fly Fish" is a good place to start.

Over time, as you get to know folks better, you can send a polite PM to folks who live where you wish to explore and they will likely be more receptive to sharing fishing spots.

Dave W.

Your primary problem in attempting winter trout stream fishing in Luzerne Co is that the streams usually get significantly iced over for much of the winter, often starting a early as early December. How iced over? I used to cross country ski up Huntington Ck near Sweet Valley, a nice wild BT stream, once the ice became snow covered. You have a better chance of finding some extended winter fishing for a time on larger waters in the region, such as Lackawanna River.

With temps dropping into the single digits lately the smaller streams will freeze over.
The lower Lackawanna usually stays open and the winter fishing can be very good from Archbald to Taylor(Lackawanna County).
I will pm you directions to some spots when I get a chance.

Back