Fly Fishing in Indiana, Westmoreland, or Somerset

G

golferjeff

Long story short - I will be visiting PA May 30-June 3. I lived there for the first 22 years of my life but never fly fished. Staying in Southern Indiana Co, willing to drive 1-1.5 hours to fish. Intermediate to good skills. Love to get into some PA fish while I am there.

Any suggestions for creeks, hatches, or areas would be welcome. I know a little bit about the Little J, Loyalhanna, Laurel Hill Creek, and the Yough. Any detailed info is welcome as well. Trout are the intended target, but smallies are welcome too :)

Hoping PA Flyfishers can help a native out. I have a car and the tools, just need some advice.

Thank y'all for any help you can post!

Not sure where you are coming from. It's been a dry spring and streams are low across the State. Assuming that doesn't change between now and your planned visit I would suggest that you head to the Little J. May be stretching your 1.5 hour maximum travel time a little but of the streams you mentioned it may have the best water. You also have the Juniata river nearby if you want to chase smallies. Yough probably will have water too because the ACE may be releasing for the rafters.

According to the Weather Channel PA is going to get hammered in the next couple of days with that weather from Texas and mid-west.

Chaz - I have lived thru those storms once already. Those of us in Texas have gotten pounded during May. Several spots have over 30" for the month - or about 2 years worth. every lake, stream, and puddle in North Texas is overflowing.

I may ask Ligonier outfitters for some assistance in that area. I will be in Latrobe/Somerset area Saturday.

Thanks!

Golfer,
If you haven't already done so, hit the link in the upper right hand side of this page "Where to Fly Fish" and you can search by county. If you're mainly interested in trout fishing, I'd suggest Somerset County as your best bet.

Back