Fly Fishing Getting Started - Rods, Reels & Lines Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you throw a feather?

You don’t.

You tie the feather to something heavy and then a toss the two of them together. This is the principle behind casting with a fly rod. See how easy fly fishing is!

I wish my friends Ron and Greg would have explained this to me when I first started fly fishing. I think it would have saved me some early embarrassing moments of fly fishing.

feather.jpg
The principle purpose of a fly rod is to deliver the fly line out towards a trout with a fly somehow attached to the situation. More about bad delivery and stupid fly imitations later on. The principle of spin casting is just the opposite as the weight of the lure carries the line to the fish.

There is a lot of kinetic energy and physics that is involved, but don’t worry we will get to that later when we cover casting. The good news is that we will cover that before we get to the entomology and biology if you were asking.

To do all this line tossing you need gear that will support that kind of physics. Before we start picking our rod let’s look at the whole fly delivery engine thing one more time. We discussed our rod, but as you can imagine there are many different sizes and types of rods. They are most often differentiated by length and weight. Since we are just getting started most common trout fly rods are between 7’ and 9’ here out East. The most common weight is between 4wt and 6wt. Don’t send me hate mail yet remember I said common.

Most popular modern rods are made of graphite. The very early fly rods were made of bamboo and these handcrafted rods are still highly regarded by many anglers. We are not going to talk about bamboo now because I would then have to go deep and talking about kilts. I think they are silly unless you are drinking scotch then who really cares anyway.

In principle the smaller the fish the smaller and less weight you need in your rod. For bigger fish the converse holds true. So fishing for sunfish an 8’ 4wt rod will do just fine. For trout you won’t go wrong with a 9’ 5wt rod. I like the 9’ because it helps when you are nymph fishing and need some extra reach. It doesn’t you’re your 8’ 4wt rod isn’t good for trout it is. I have a great Orvis 4wt rod and I still enjoy using it under that right conditions. Best suited for wild trout in small streams or when I am dry fly-fishing over smaller trout and fish.

Part two & three of this post we will look at reels, fly lines and a few modestly priced set-ups to get you started. Your assignment this week is to throw a feather and please don’t put on a kilt unless you are drinking scotch.

gulfgreyhound
When the pilot ask you to watch for logs in the river it gets a little exciting. Thats a great fishing area with a lot of creeks and rivers and only float plane access.

Last edited:
wbranch
Looks like a wonderful trip - what time of year did you go? How long did you stay, how much did it cost, and how was the lodging and meals?

Last edited:
DaveKile
wbranch,

A bucket list trip and still doing the research. Have you been up there?

Last edited:
wbranch
See your PM's.

Shoot me me email address and I'll send you a link to view my Photobucket albums.

You ever fish the Erie tribs? I've only been fishing them for three years, this will be my fourth. I've done pretty good and have never gone when I didn't hook up decent numbers. I only fish Elk and Twenty Mile. Once in awhile I'll drive over to Walnut and if it isn't crowded I fish the Project Waters because there are just so many fish it is hard to not give it a try.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back