Fly Fishing from a kayak?

T

Troutaddict172

My wife and I just bought our first kayaks. I got an old town vapor angler 10. Its a sit in kayak. I want to try and fly fish from it for bass and such in lakes and ponds. Was just wondering how many of you fly fish from kayaks? How do you carry your gear with you and store rod while paddling.

Install a scotty rod holder, they make one for fly rods. Strap in a milk crate if it will fit.

I haven't yet, but I plan on it. Let me know how it goes. There is a magazine called Kayak Fishing or something like that. I also know that Walt Young fishes from a kayak.

I fly fish from an Old Town Heron XT 9' that I won in a Bass Pro Members Night raffle a few years back. It's a sit-in, too, but was hardly a fishing setup when I got it. I've since added some features (anchor trolley, deck bungee, standard rod holders) that have turned into my preferred method for fly fishing stillwater and slow-moving rivers with a fly rod. I use it for trout and warmwater alike and it excels in both roles.

The main reasons I love the kayak for fly fishing are that it's a helluva lot faster than using a float tube, the anchor trolley allows me to use the wind to my advantage for positioning, and the fact that you are over the water eliminates virtually all backcasting obstructions. You can cover a LOT of water in kayak without the expense or upkeep of a motorized boat. You also escape any and all horsepower limits by default. It doesn't hurt that it's a good workout, too.

The Heron has a rear hatch the I shove my tackle bag into. There's no bulkhead to restrain what you put in, but I prefer it that way since I can also shove stuff back there simply by lowering the seat. Because I don't have a dedicated fly rod holder, I usually just set it in my lap facing aft when it comes time to paddle to a new spot.

All in all, I think you are going to love the setup you have and will look for reasons to use it, especially when cover around the lake makes shore casting un-fun.

10" bluegill caught in a Utah lake from the kayak:
Bluegill-10incher_zps0378ef3f.jpg

Stringer full of stockies for a fish fry caught in a Nevada lake:
6782A05F-5560-472C-A864-A239EA81E608-566-000000386D5D54C8_zpsb2f3355b.jpg

Crappie excursion with Clouser minnows in an Ohio lake just a week or so ago:
IMG_2381_zpssnwdrjjz.jpg

(Note that the deck bungee on the front make for a great net holder)

I have been swing a flyrod out of a yak for about five years and can say that its not all that easy.First thing get as much stuff out of your way as you can or get a line basket of some sort>Fly line will find every thing that it can to get tangled on.#2 watch your hook sets you can go over backwards and go swimming.#3 remember that you are setting pretty low in the seat,instead of getting hit in the back you are now getting hit in the head on your forward cast.# 4 tie every thing down,rod leash,Tackel and fly boxes,Net,Cooler so on#5 and final where you PFD its better if your flyrods on the bottom than you.(Ocean trident 13 sit on)

No yak, but fish from a pontoon boat, beats shore fishing, and at my age sitting while fishing has its good points.

I have fly fished for bass once or twice out of my sit in kayak. Casting took a little bit to get used to since you will be sitting, but it wasn't really difficult to adjust, just awkward at first.

Good luck with it!

I use a 13 ft ocean kayak sit-on-top because I get in and out a lot. It came with two rod holders. Used mostly on FL Keys flats in winter for bonefish, but I also use it to float fish for trout on PA rivers. I need to install an anchor system.

I sometimes fish from my inflatable kayak. One thing that you will find is that you aren't going to be able to try and muscle a cast. You will have to rely more on technique...unless you want to risk getting wet.

I fish from my yak all the time! I have a vapor 10 and have caught everything from trout to musky out of it. Takes some getting used to but very efficient once you get the hang of it.

Sounds good - inspired me to order some deck fittings to upgrade my sit-in kayak to fishing-ready
(paddle holder, deck bungee, rod holder, etc)

One thing I hope to figure out is if I can find space for a spare rod - the idea of having one rod rigged for deep nymphing and one for dries, both ready to go, appeals to me.

Just be careful about doing "roll casts!" :)

Start with one rod.. As others mentioned, at first you'll get line tangled in everything and just be generally clumsy. A second rod is also easy to jam into the ground, a dock, or anything nearby if you aren't paying attention to how you position it.

I can't fish for s*** out of my kayak. The canoe is a different story. I need to be able to stand up. I put a rod holder in my sit-on-top and have done it a handful of times, rather unsuccessfully. I'm sure if I do it more I'll get better but I'd rather just take the canoe. Everytime I've fished out of the kayak, it has been bear bones. One rod, one small fly box and a spool of tippet in my shirt pocket.

one word that fixes all those problems (Nucanoe) stand and fish and not worry about getting wet. great seats that swivel. will have my new demo here this coming week. doing a 2 seat bass angler setup(fly fish too) in sand color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SruvUYMCvk

Back