Fly Craft vs Stealth Craft

boss_steb

boss_steb

I have watching the development of the Fly Craft USA boats and now have learned a bit about the Stealth Craft boats. Both designs look very similar.

Does anyone have either of these and what has been your experience? Easy to use? Easy to assemble?

Are there opportunities to use these boats on PA waters such as Little J, Clarion River, Yough, Pine Creek? (sorry, I don't know the class rapids on Pine)

Any feedback would be helpful?

Boss

Contact Krayfish2 on here...he's a knowledgable guy on this stuff. Shoot him a PM or he may even comment on here.

You might want check the ratings on the boats. I don't believe that either are for more than class II. Both are narrower than a standard raft which should make them more maneuverable but easier to flip for inexperienced rower. Aire, Saturn and Scadden all have inflatables.

Questions for ya:
* how many people do you plan on having, 2 or 3?
* how do you intend to transport it, trunk, truck bed or trailer?
* how much experience do you have rowing?
* what is you budget?

There are a few guys with rafts on here that should be able to add their knowledge once they see this.

frame vs. frameless

fly craft/stealth craft raft/smithfly raft... i'm sure they could handle the middle and bottom yough, but they do not looked designed for whitewater. also i think the FC and SC are 2man boats

i'm listing me sadden xxx assault this weekend (sent you a pm)

Hey Boss, I have a Scadden one man pontoon. If you want to see what their boats look like, next time you come home call me and come over to look mine over. For quality, Scadden is hard to beat in the inflatable line. IMO.

Biggie,

No offense but Scaddens are great designs for anglers, quality frames but the actual toons are meh. Outcast (Aire), Sotar, Saturn, Puma make a much higher grade inflatable product. But.....for most, the Scaddens will work. I have the Skykomish (older model with bladders) and a 'U' shaped unitrac pontoon for the same frame. Bladders are easier to patch IMHO. Both have been used hard, dragged miles and trailered thousands of miles. I'll get many more years out of them I'm sure but the designs on the one man boats are excellent.

Thanks....really thinking just two people so ne plus one. I was jyst thinking Clarion, non-whitewater yough, little j, big j (thompsontown to Newport,), no experience rowing on moving water

Truck bed probsbly. The flycraft just seemed easier to operate.

I have a fair amount of experience canoeing so not too bad at reading water but I understand they are completely different skill sets. Seems likr I could use either on some local lakes as well.

Thanks Biggie.

Boss,

Your question got me interested and I did a little looking today. The wider the boat, the more stable for stand-up fishing. You may need to call the manufacturers to get the actual specs.

* Stealthcraft has 1 pc frame which is nice but it doesn't say what it's made out of. Steel, stainless or aluminum?? It also has a lean bar for stand-up fishing. With that said, you can't put the bar down so it could get in the way. Should include anchor. Call Mike to verify.
* Flycraft has a 7 pc aluminum frame which is nicer for breakdown storage of the boat. Looks like you'll need to add $120 for an anchor.
* Scadden has aluminum frame and is much lighter. Limited to 2 anglers only and minimal gear. Anchor $50.

Weights look similar. Both have 3rd seat / storage rack, anchor system, etc. Who has better hardware (locks and oars)? Which has better rod storage? Snapped rod ruins the day real quickly.

Scadden Dragonfly XT2F - less than $2500 fully fitted and shipped
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/dave-scadden-paddlesports-show-specials

FlyCraft fisherman package - $3800 + shipping
https://www.flycraftusa.com/collections/all/products/stealth-fly-fishing-package

Stealthcraft Hooligan 13' Guide - $3999 + shipping
http://www.stealthcraftboats.com/?page_id=1108

Last thing I'll add is that a framed boat is superior to a frameless when it comes to rowing.

Just now dawned on me that the young man in the stealthcraft video is the guy that delivered my boat to my house. Lol

krayfish2 wrote:
Last thing I'll add is that a framed boat is superior to a frameless when it comes to rowing.

Best piece of advice on fishing/ boats that I have seen in a long time - get the wind in ur face and it makes for a long slog thru the frogs water - it will ring every hung over ounce of booze outta ya. .

I have had every type of boat there is: ski boats, party barges, sail boats, paddle boats ( still have one ) , paddle boards, Drift boats, kayaks, canoes ................ My dad had a 1950 Chris-Craft Sportsman for a time ........and i will say you are idiot for even thinking of buying one. One of the dumbest things a man can do is buy a boat:)

Full Disclosure - I own or am a partner in in at least three of the above mentioned craft - Scadden's boats are great - i have been lucky enough to have been in a few of them.

Boss,

Clarion is a pretty easy float, as would be the Juniata too I'm sure. Little J is not somewhere I'd want to float unless the water was high enough to chase the wading anglers off. The middle Yough (Confluence to Ohiopyle) is class II whitewater, don't do it as your first float.

Also, I think others will echo this, I try to float with more than one boat in the flotilla. If something goes wrong, it's nice to have back-up.

"frame vs. frameless

fly craft/stealth craft raft/smithfly raft... i'm sure they could handle the middle and bottom yough, but they do not looked designed for whitewater. also i think the FC and SC are 2man boats

i'm listing me sadden xxx assault this weekend (sent you a pm) "

I have a Scadden Assault and I love this boat. It is one man. The above xxx Assault can do 2 and I think 3 people. I like the frameless style. No assembly required...just drop it in the water. The Scadden is a very rigid boat, so no frame needed. I don't want to come off as a commercial so I'll say one last thing. Having your feet in the water with fins, really lets you maintain any position you want without having to touch the oars. When the rocks show up, put your feet on the cross bar and row/steer. Have fun deciding.

Not sure if you've ever looked at this model. Looks to have a little more rocker. Comes in 2 lengths and widths.

http://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-raft-kayak.html

I have the Flycraft Stealth. Very stable, easy to assemble, but is a two person boat. The next one up is the Stealth X. It is wider, has a front casting brace. They say it is rated for three people, but the person in the rear is cramped. I think it is really a two person boat. Next up is the 14’, three man. I have seen one and think it is the best of the line. Way more boat then I could handle alone.

The Stealth is rated for class II and the other two for class III. The inflatable floor is designed like a paddle board and is solid as a rock. Standing is no problem at all. It only drafts 4” and can go anyplace.

It is a great boat for what it was designed to do.

Jim

I would think twice about Stealthcraft, TRUST ME! The owner is the worst person you will ever deal with. He will over promise and under deliver. And if something does go wrong, he will blame you, yell at you, swear at you... If I could do it all over again, I would pay any difference to have a boat from another company. Do yourself a favor and don't ever do business with Stealth Craft. Here are some photos of the "new" trailer they built me. This isn't dirty, it's already been washed. This is rust and terrible craftsmanship!

Attachments

• 20210209_150823 Xsmall.jpg
    20210209_150823 Xsmall.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210209_150747 Xsmall.jpg
    20210209_150747 Xsmall.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210209_150732 Xsmall.jpg
    20210209_150732 Xsmall.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 55
Back