Fly casting problem.

Opie610

Opie610

Recently I have noticed a problem with my overhand cast. For some reason my fly and tippet land off to the right of my intended target. My fly line lays out nice and straight but for some reason the tippet and fly do not. I have already ruled out wind. Any ideas why this is happening? I never had this problem before but I noticed it the last few times out and it's bugging the $hit out of me.

Sometimes the fly is too big for the tippet, sometimes it's knots. But to start look at where your rod tip is when you make your cast, the rod tip points to where the fly should land. If the wind isn't a factor the fly should land exactly where the rod tip stops.
One other thing, if you don't apply enough speed the fly will drag behind the line causing the fly to land off target.

Usually it's a rod track issue. You're probably rolling your wrist.

It could also be store bought leaders with too stiff of a butt section.

are you right handed or left handed?
if left handed you may be coming in at a slight angle and overpowering the cast which would cause a right hook. kinda like a sideways tuck cast if that makes sense.

also check if you are turning your wrist or if your thumb is coming thru straight behind the cork and in line with your target.

I aged with rod path. That's one or the reasons I was thinking about going to the casting tune up this Saturday. I can actually see the fly line path off plane while I'm casting and the fly ends up well right of target. Did you ever notice that with yours? For me, it becomes an issue if casting over 40-50'. Typically makes for a bad day

Practice throwing sliders.

Try these two things:

1) Check to make sure you are casting with the rod in a near vertical position. If you are right handed, the rod should tilted a little bit to the right of vertical, to avoid the line hitting the rod, but not too much.

2) Make sure the cast is not underpowered. Try giving it a little more zing, a little more of a power snap on the forward cast to get more line speed.

Opie610 wrote:
Recently I have noticed a problem with my overhand cast. For some reason my fly and tippet land off to the right of my intended target. My fly line lays out nice and straight but for some reason the tippet and fly do not. I have already ruled out wind. Any ideas why this is happening? I never had this problem before but I noticed it the last few times out and it's bugging the $hit out of me.

Yes. Sounds like a rod path or "tracking" issue. I sometimes find myself doing this and have to work to correct myself.

Check out this link on tracking

The silver lining is...........you've perfected the curve cast! :lol:

krayfish2 wrote:
I aged with rod path. That's one or the reasons I was thinking about going to the casting tune up this Saturday. I can actually see the fly line path off plane while I'm casting and the fly ends up well right of target. Did you ever notice that with yours? For me, it becomes an issue if casting over 40-50'. Typically makes for a bad day

Same here, Andy. When I lengthen my rod stroke for longer casts and have to rotate my shoulder and turn my upper body, I often have tracking problems and cast out of plane. What I do is shorten up and focus on keeping the rod tip in a straight line. I work on achieving a straight line cast each time and progressively lengthen my casts.

If you do go to the casting tune-up, Old Lefty will get you back "on track"...if not, you won't be able to sit down for about a week... :lol:

I agree with BrookieChaser, check to be sure your leader butt section is of similar stiffness as the end of your fly line. If stiffer, the energy transfer from line to leader can be killed.

If you look at leader formulas many are credited to fishermen from the 40's to 60's when few fishermen used line weights below six weight. For my five weight graphite rods I start the leader with 20lb material and three-four weight with 15lb material.

Jeff

Opie,

it sounds like a very common tracking issue. if you make a backcast where your rod tip follows one path and your proceeding forward cast follows a different path you will commonly get the result that you just described.

all other casting quirks aside; keeping your rod "on plane", that is to say following the same path and angle in both the forward and back motions will allow you to unroll your fly line and leader straight.

Straight Line Path is a fundamental element to fly casting and is tricky to correct on you own. I would suggest setting a camera up directly behind you and practice casting and then look at the rod tip path. see if the rod tip moves laterally one direction on the back cast and a different direction on the forward cast.

hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks to all for your help and advice it is much appreciated. Tomorrow after work I will be setting up my Gopro and begin filming my casting.
Again thanks to all who responded.

Opie

I have this same problem. I do it without even noticing and it definitely makes for a bad day of dry fly fishing.

Or a good day, depending what direction the stream is flowing. Built in aerial mend!!! :)

I have some bad habits too. I sometimes work on correcting them. But mostly I learn to live with them, lol. Like playing your natural slice in golf. As long as it's predictable....

Pcray,

that is spot on. I get a sweet drift with the river/stream going from right to left. not so much going the other way unless i reach cast really hard.

Back