Fly Boxes

linwood

linwood

What is your preferred fly box style for storing soft hackles while on the stream?

The slit foam design, like nymphs are stored in?
Ripple foam?
An open compartment box, like dries are stored in?
Or something else that I may not be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Working on a Christmas gift. Merry Christmas!

i use altoids tins.

i generally put all size 12 one tin and all size 14 in another,etc.

so,i may have one tin with P&O,P&Y and P&G in one tin,size 12,and put size 16 starling and purple in that tin.

tins are the time honored SH box.

Tacky fly boxes make a variety of sizes. One for Dry's and one for nymphs.

I like altoid tins as well. I glue foam in the bottom to stick the flies into. I have them broken down. Nymphs, drys, buggers, midges, clousers, terrestrials, etc... I only take what I'm planning on using and can fit in my pockets. usually about four is all I need with a few more left in the car.

poopdeck wrote:
I like altoid tins as well. I glue foam in the bottom to stick the flies into. I have them broken down. Nymphs, drys, buggers, midges, clousers, terrestrials, etc... I only take what I'm planning on using and can fit in my pockets. usually about four is all I need with a few more left in the car.

I only put foam in for dries or junk flies.
For dries,to protect the hackle,for junk flies because the hooks stick to the yarn.

For soft hackles ,I just dump them in . It is easy to pick out the right ones.

I use tacky boxes for everything - I love those boxes as its easy to keep everything organized.

linwood wrote:
What is your preferred fly box style for storing soft hackles while on the stream?
The slit foam design, like nymphs are stored in?
Working on a Christmas gift. Merry Christmas!

Go with a slit foam box with a clear lid.

This is what I use for both nymphs and wets.

Moreover, for an X-mas gift, such a set-up will look better and allow the recipient to see all the nicely stored wet flies next to each other (rather than jumbled together in clumps as would be the case in a compartment box). A slit box will also allow you to group the flies by column where they are situated next to each other. You can sort by size or by patterns, or by design. Having them in a clear slit foam box will not only look good but also allow the user to see all the flies compared to each other.

Really nice for the price. Bought mine at Walmart for about $7:

http://www.planomolding.com/guide-series-fly-fishing-case-small

The foam is pretty tough.

I use small clear Plano boxes.

Back