Fly boxes

padave

padave

Tie your fly boxes to your vest some how, so they don't get lost.

Speaking from personal experience are we? I've thought about doing similar things, I just make sure my vest is zipped and to NEVER set down a box.

I hope you find your box though! It's a drag losing things on the stream. I almost lost/forgot my brand new 8wt in the parking lot a couple of months ago, just ask jdaddy.

Speaking from personal experience are we? I've thought about doing similar things, I just make sure my vest is zipped and to NEVER set down a box.

I hope you find your box though! It's a drag losing things on the stream. I almost lost/forgot my brand new 8wt in the parking lot a couple of months ago, just ask jdaddy.

Yes I lost one yesterday. I saw or read someplace to tie a piece of mono or what ever to your box and then to your vest, I'll be giving it a try.

wsender wrote:
I almost lost/forgot my brand new 8wt in the parking lot a couple of months ago, just ask jdaddy.
I have done this twice over the years. It's such a "lost" feeling! lol

For the past 2 years I have been using a chest pack and this can also help from losing items on the stream. Everything is conveniently right in front of you and when you forget to zip it back up, it is very noticeable. I have lost multiple fly boxes from my vest before, but have yet to lose one from my chest pack.

Buy a "Downs" or "Richardson" chest fly box and your problem will be solved.

x2 on the chest pack. I have used one for a few years now and Ill never wear a vest again.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Buy a "Downs" or "Richardson" chest fly box and your problem will be solved.

I did a google image search on them. They seem like a great ideal but are they a bit bulky and do they give you neck or back pain on an all day fishing/hiking trip.

I have a Downs and no pain at all. However, I have upgraded the to the backpack, but the system is very light. If I remember correctly, even with the strap there is no back or neck strain.

The plus side with the downs is you can carry 1 tray or 10 trays, it's up to you. I carry between 2 & 4 and it doesn't get in teh way at all. I used to carry 5 trays every trip and it still didn't get in the way.

I have a five tray Downs box and a four tray Richardson. The Downs box is the lighter of the two. I have never had any problems with pain in my neck that I could say came from wearing these flyboxes. They are very handy and quick to use. I cannot see myself flyfishing without them. The Down's is ALOT cheaper than the Richardson. It runs around $90 for the five tray model. The Richardson four tray deluxe runs about $260.

Wow, $260.

That's more than what I have wrapped up in my Downs and I have 9 trays, 2 side pouches, 2 gink holders, and a backpack.

Yes the Richardson is expensive. They are handmade one at a time. When I bought mine I was working some overtime before I retired and so did'nt feel guilty about the price. I look at it as a lifetime investment. They are very good quality if you can get by the price. Mine is one of my favorite pieces of flyfishing equipment. I never leave home without it! Ha.

I've been looking into the downs fly boxes, they just seem so awkward and clunky.

I thought the same thing until I fished with one. I thought it would get in my way. It really does'nt. After you wear it a bit you kind of forget it's there until you need it.

Exactly! When I fished with 5 trays it didn't get in the way. 3 trays isn't even noticeable.

MKern, I really can't figure out why more flyfisherman don't use them. They are so handy and hold ALOT of flies. I use the front tray of my Downs and Richardson boxes as a work station. I carry split shot, tippet rings, my hemos, a knot tying tool and maybe an extra spool of tippet material there. I open the lid and do all my work over the tray. If I drop something it falls in the tray and not into the stream!

I've got a Richardson and couldn't live without it. Best thing I ever did. I'll never wear a vest again! 3 tray model and no, not bulky or heavy or anything of that type. Doesn't get in my way at all.

That said, to me the Down's looks almost identical. Cheaper material and not quite as attractive looking, but it does the same thing at a lower price, and the removable tray thing is a nice feature.

Back